News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Fed Turkey Thugs vs Old Federals

Started by packmule, March 04, 2013, 09:25:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

surehuntsalot

Quote from: FL-Boss on March 12, 2013, 08:52:51 PM
anywhere else .. maybe online? Can you post a link?   My Walmart has nothing in the way of ammo.. expect the same 1 box of .410 shells that has been on the self for the last 3 months.

Walmart is the only place that I have seen them for sell
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Gumby

appalachianstruttstopper

Quote from: FL-Boss on March 12, 2013, 08:21:00 PM
where you can find Fed Turkey Thug shells?  I search online... I see about 5 different types of Fed.. but nothing that says turkey thug?

These are federal strut-shok shells. Bass pro has them for 9.97 box also. They are in a blue box. Turkey thug is a walmart thing. Federal is making these strut-shoks to be sold for walmart in a camo turkey thug box.

willy8457

I haven't seen them anywhere else, they patterned well in my new stoeger so I went and bought ten boxes At ten bucks a box how could you go wrong ?

reflexl

Good looking patterns. Very dead turkey. The old 2oz 3" feds were my favorites in my 835 with a stardot .676. I will have to give these a try. reflexl

Michigander

Quote from: appalachianstruttstopper on March 12, 2013, 11:09:25 PM
where you can find Fed Turkey Thug shells?  I search online... I see about 5 different types of Fed.. but nothing that says turkey thug?

These are federal strut-shok shells. Bass pro has them for 9.97 box also. They are in a blue box. Turkey thug is a walmart thing. Federal is making these strut-shoks to be sold for walmart in a camo turkey thug box.

Actually Gold Hunter cut some open and they are different shells.

Ded Goblr

These are this years Strut Shok with a Turkey Thug logo on the box. I did see where someone cut a shell open and it was different than the old Strut Shoks.  I've only been able to find them in 5's so far.

appalachianstruttstopper

Quote from: Michigander on March 13, 2013, 12:11:54 PM
Quote from: appalachianstruttstopper on March 12, 2013, 11:09:25 PM

Actually Gold Hunter cut some open and they are different shells.

Call Federal and ask them how different. I am just stating what was told to me. The cut shells had same wad, same shot, same gas seal, same velocity's, same case, different box. That's what I've been told. But I don't know that for sure because I don't work at Federal. I have both here, blue box strut-shok, and camo box turkey thug Strut-Shok, can't tell the difference in patterning or the chrony. Hope this helps to people wanting same performance without haveing to buy from Walmarts limited supply.

Michigander

Interesting, so this years Strut Shock shells are different then from previous years? Are the Strut Shock shells patterning the same as the Thugs? If so, like you said, that would make finding shells a lot easier.

BandedSpur

The shells are quite different. Different powder and more buffer in the Thugs.

VooDooMagic

Wasn't there a difference of about 13 or so grains of powder between the two, and alot more buffer in the Thugs?  At least that is what was posted in another thread here...

appalachianstruttstopper

Quote from: Michigander on March 13, 2013, 09:18:19 PM
Interesting, so this years Strut Shock shells are different then from previous years? Are the Strut Shock shells patterning the same as the Thugs? If so, like you said, that would make finding shells a lot easier.

I personally don't know about previous years stock, only familiar with what I have purchased for this season. The blue box Strut-Shok patterned and chronographed on average identical to the camo box turkey thug Strut-Shok from this years stock. Both blue box and camo box states same velocities of 1210fps. In my patterning experience with these shells they have performed really well in barrels 24" and longer. They are acceptable for me in my 535 20" as well, but not as good as longer bbl guns that I have patterned this year. Hope this can help with people that can't find the thugs. I was lead to believe they were the same shell in all manners, BUT federal has no evidence on anything of the strut-shok in 20ga on their website, and walmart is selling them. So in saying that, I can only tell you what I have personaly witnessed. For $10 box for blue box, it wouldn't be a total waste even if someone had different results than I recieved. BTW I have been getting at least 100 in 10" with every gun with every choke combo with 3-1 7/8-6.

appalachianstruttstopper

Quote from: VooDooMagic on March 13, 2013, 09:48:24 PM
Wasn't there a difference of about 13 or so grains of powder between the two, and alot more buffer in the Thugs?  At least that is what was posted in another thread here...

I haven't cut any open for myself, but I might just to see if there is any difference. Velocity's are the same, so if the powder is a different amount with same velocity's then it is a quicker powder in the shell that has less. I can only go by what I have seen with my equipment and what I was told by FCC. Someone else on here had a Thug shell with wet/oily powder, but I have'nt had any problems at all with that either.

R AJ

Quote from: appalachianstruttstopper on March 05, 2013, 04:29:59 PM
Looks great. I just wish Federal would put another penny in them and use copper plated shot. Thats the only thing I would change.

Or three cents and nickel plated shot. Those are extra hard lead shot and very round and uniform as is.

Ded Goblr

Got a chance to shoot a few today. Best lead load I've ever shot, plated or not. Out performed the WW HV's.  I'm sold on em!!   167 in 10 with 3.5's 2oz. Fed TT SS #5's. dropped off when the wind kicked up to 141.  WW HV 3"S 1 3/4 #6's 137. I generally shoot 6"s, but as good as the 5's shot I'll take em.. I can only find 5's in my little Walmarta.. Targets at taped 40yd.s.