OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Truglo Tru Brite open red dot?

Started by nogoodreezen, March 01, 2013, 08:11:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nogoodreezen

Well..... I found one of these sights in a store a couple towns over today. I bought it and cancelled my online order. I came home anxious to mount it on my 835. One problem. The rear mounting screw will not grab. It is either stripped on the end or not long enough. It will thread but not on the rail. Now what? I am emailing truglo but I really want to get this set up. This weekend is supposed to be in the 60 's with no wind. Perfect weather to pattern and sight in the guns. Other than that the sight looks great. What are the odds a hardware store will have something to fit it?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

BrowningGuy88

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on March 05, 2013, 02:24:04 PM

I like this one.  I like using red on about the 3rd brightness level.

I believe I will pick one of these up and throw it on the 935 and stick the Burris on the BPS 10 when it gets here.

I love that reticle Brad! And if it holds up to your 835, it will hold up to anything!

jordanz7935

I bought one for my 935 last year. i liked everything about it but didnt like how high it mounts off the receiver.had to lift my head off the stock.thats a big no-no for me. so i took it back and ordered the dual color dot camo 30mm truglo for 50 bucks and the rest is history. also saved $40 by doin this

nogoodreezen

It does mount a little high but it does not seem uncomfortable or awkward to me.  I think I will really like it.  I am finally going to get to do some shooting this weekend.  Can't wait for warmer weather. 

ILIKEHEVI-13

That's why I bought the Beartooth comb kit from Cabelas.  I got the thinest pad inserted in the picture I posted earlier.  But you can buy dang near 3 of these vs a Burris. 

nogoodreezen

For what I paid you could buy three plus a bear tooth comb kit. I'm sure the Burris is great but if this sight will hold up I can't justify spending that much to put it on a gun that will only be fired a few times per year.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

jamo

How did you fix the problem with the rail? I'm looking at this same set up, for my 835!

nogoodreezen

I just went to the local hardware store and bought a slightly longer screw. I shouldn't have had to do that but oh well. Cost me.40 and it is perfect now. Looking forward to shooting this weekend.

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

nogoodreezen

Here it is set up and waiting for Saturday!

chatterbox

nogoodreezen

Thanks. I just setup a super bantam for my wife and daughters this week that looks almost identical.  Looking forward to shooting them both this weekend. 60s and no wind. Gonna be perfect.

jamo

Let's see the results when your done patterning it!

ILIKEHEVI-13

Guys I have been getting lots of pms on this sight.   And I'm gonna try and answer some of the questions here rather than getting the same questions and having to respond to them all separately. 

This site has 4 reticle choices.  It also has 5 green brightness settings and 5 red brightness settings.  This picture below should explain it better. 

Now to turn the site off there is a green 0 and a red 0.  You just have to have it on one of those 0's. 

Now the battery is undeneath that very same knob.  I will show you a front view of that battery knob which is also your on/off and your brightness/color selection knob. 

Now directly underneath the site if your looking down the barrel of gun toward the front of site which is directly above the triggerguard in the picture above is the reticle selector switch to select from 4 reticle choices. 

Now if you do buy this site I strongly suggest for you to buy the Beartooth comb raising kit.  Cabelas is sold out.  So I would just get it here.  Or feel free to do a search if you wish to try and find it cheaper.  This kit will align your eye up exactly centered to the reticle.  I have the lowest shim pad in mine.  It works perfectly.  I did cut a little hole for my sling stud by taking a sharp knife and figuring out once it is on the gun where I needed to cut some of the sewing threads to make room for the stud.  It don't take many threads to make a big enough hole, so go easy until you can get hole to go over the stud. 

http://www.beartooth-products.com/shop/vmchk/comb-raising-kits.html

Now I hope that helps.  Yes this site will hold its zero shot after shot.  Yes it has a lifetime warranty.  I really do like it.  And I do recommend it.  Where you put the dot once zeroed is where the center of your pattern will go each and every time as long as no other factors like operator error or wind come into play. 

Brad

jamo

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: jamo on March 08, 2013, 07:08:37 AM
Thanks! Brad for the info.

Your welcome. 

One other tip I may suggest is this when mounting this site to your gun.  I have a Wihi torque screwdriver that probably quite a few here may not have the luxuary of using one, but I can tell you personally that you don't have to tighten these screws super tight.  I used I think 22 or 24in/lbs to tighten the base screws to my 835 receiver.  That's plenty tight.  I think I did put a drop of clear nail polish on the threads.  But you don't have to do this.  The base isn't going to move with 4 screws.  And I used I believe 18-20in/lbs to mount the screws that hold the site to the base.  But even 15 in/lbs will be sufficient since the site and base are made out of aluminum.  So in otherwords if you don't have a torque screwdriver just don't start overcranking these screws and strip out threads.  Just put a little resistance on the allen wrench and use some good judgement to how much.  Probably hand tight longways with opposite end of allan wrench and then a 1/4 more turn should be sufficient.  That would be my guess.

Here a picture of the Wihi torque screwdriver.  These have really went up since I paid around a little over $100 shipped for mine.  But the applications or endless with this baby for tightening screws on any gun. 

Oh and one other thing.  I used a Weaver 417M base to fit my 835. 

Brad