turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Benelli - M1 Super 90 ....need help

Started by Byhalia, February 27, 2013, 11:39:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Byhalia

My cousin has the Benelli  M1 super 90 -takes 3" shells only  (21" barrell)
He is using a .665 (benelli factory full)
What recommendations do you all have for a good choke/shell sugestions?
~ Listen to the Wind ~    http://customprocalls.com/

01Foreman400

Tell him to give William at Sumtoy a call.  He'll fix him up.
Huntin Fool From Georgia!

ziggy

i just use the factory full choke on mine with federal 4's and i haven't had a problem yet.  but i let them get 30 yards or closer too.

and that's a hell of a gun.  in my opinion the best that benelli has ever made.
"Playing that cowboy music
And it feels good, to be working hard"

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Byhalia on February 27, 2013, 11:39:26 AM
My cousin has the Benelli  M1 super 90 -takes 3" shells only  (21" barrell)
He is using a .665 (benelli factory full)
What recommendations do you all have for a good choke/shell sugestions?

The best shells I've found for that gun are the Hevi-13 "Bronze" shells with 2 oz. of either #6 or #7 shot. There are 3 chokes that work exceptionally well with that gun and its short barrel. They are the Wright's #3, the Hevi-13 turkey choke and the SSX. They have very different designs but all 3 work very well.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Swamp Hunter

I have a 12ga. M1 Benelli with a 26" barrel.  I have tried the Jellyhead .655, ICC .665 and on Clark's advice the SSX.  I tested the SSX this past weekend and it performed best with Hevi Magblend 5,6,7.  I got a high of 189 in 10" at 40 yds.  This is the best my gun has done with any combination of choke and shell.  None of the chokes I tried put more than 150 in 10" with Hevi 6.  The ICC and SSX did about the same with the 6's.  Both threw nice, even patterns but not high center numbers.  I think I may have a bad batch of Hevi 6's and I was not able to get any new ones this year so I am going with Magblend when our season opens in two weeks.

Just for fun I also shot a Hevi 5 and got 115 at 40.  I also tried a Super x Win. copperplated #4 1 7/8 oz of shot and got 91 in the 10" ring.  I use the #4s for hogs that I encounter while turkey hunting.  They will take down most hogs within 30yds.  You need to be a bit closer for the big ones but they are lethal on them too if you can get within about 20yds.

As an FYI, my POI changed with the Jellyhead.  It was off about a foot at 40yds.  In addition the ICC and SSX outperformed the Jellyhead in my gun with every shell I have tried in the past.  I know it works well for some but it did not do well in my M1.

Good luck. 

SKFOOTER

Just sold one exactly like that (21" barrel) and the best patterning combination for it was the Truglo SSX .643 choke and the 3" Hevi 6's and 7's, just like Clark mentioned.  It also shot the Nitros Blend well with a Kicks .660.

SumToy

Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Gobblestik

Not to hijack, but I was wondering...I'm shooting this same gun w/ TSS 9's. Do you all think the SSX will be the best choke for that? I was going to start with the JellyHead. Have an IC and a tightwad for it also. BUt I was thinking the more open the better.

what's you all's opinion?