Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

SX2, IC .655 mag blend report(Edit: woops, meant .665)

Started by Holston, February 25, 2013, 07:32:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holston

Thanks.

Found a local guy that can order HS.

Should have a couple boxes of 7s next week to try.

cajunhunter

I am learning, but I thought with straight 7s you loose range compared to 5s or 6s but gain pellets.  So wouldn't make sense that if you shoot the blend you get less pellets because they are less pellets in the shell.  Just asking.  I have not picked my load or choke yet, still waiting for gun to arrive.

BrowningGuy88

You can kill with Hevi 7's a long way.

They hit about like lead 5's.

Holston

Quote from: cajunhunter on March 01, 2013, 11:23:53 AM
I am learning, but I thought with straight 7s you loose range compared to 5s or 6s but gain pellets.  So wouldn't make sense that if you shoot the blend you get less pellets because they are less pellets in the shell.  Just asking.  I have not picked my load or choke yet, still waiting for gun to arrive.

I don't concern myself with >40 yard performance too much.  I hunt in the mountains, even a 40 yard shot would be a pretty long poke for me.

cajunhunter

We have some pretty good size fields one about 4ac so 40 yards can go pretty quick.  I am looking at it as bow range hunting.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

Mag Blends at 180-210 is plenty good at 40 Yards.  300 hits is more impressive, but not really any more effective.  With 300, I'd open up my choke and get a bigger, more forgiving pattern.