OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Just dropped 870 off at gunsmith

Started by Onpoint, February 23, 2013, 06:04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onpoint

Well folks I finally took my ole 870 to the gunsmith. When I get er back she'll have the ff3 mounted on a 336 base and the safety will be reversed to lefthand for me. I put the shurshot stock on a Few weeks ago, so hopefully I'll be ready to go. I got two sumtoy chokes from William. A .650 and a .660. I gotta send one back. I've patterned the .660 extensively and it does good, I haven't had time to give the .650 a fighting chance but from what I saw In the one evening I shot the 650 it was slightly behind the 660 as far as numbers in the 10 but overall more even in the 10, but If you look at a 15" pattern the .660 was much more even doin think I'm gonna keep the .660. I have no doubts about that choke.

nyhunter

What kinda numbers you getting? what shells and shot size are you shooting ?

Onpoint

I've went back to lead and with the Winchester 3" HV #5's I'm gettin 94-110

Onpoint

I'm thinking about tryin some of the federal turkey thugs shells in it too. Matter of fact I know I am. Which do y'all think will perform better? The HV 3" 5's or the turkey thug 5's. I'm averaging 100 with the HV's.

rempumpman

I have shot/hunted with a Rem 870 all of my life and I must say it's a hard gun to top; I have shot just about any and every shell manufactured through my 870 including having dropped some serious coin on chokes as well; my best peformance on paper and on live turkeys, is the combo of a Remington factory extended xx full choke and winchester supreme elite (and you really won't believe this) in a 2 3/4 in mag; I actually got a better pattern out of the 2 3/4 than I did with a 3 inch shell; I have used this combo on live turkeys with 100% success and my longest shot has been 57 man size steps (I am short so will call that 53 to 55 yards) and my closest shot was a mere 3 yards (ugly); I have quit buying any other shell but the winchester supreme elite for turkey hunting in the 2 3/4 in mag; I do buy plenty of remington shells for small game hunting and for bird hunting but the elites have my vote when it comes to serious turkey hunting.
God has always provided the tree, but you never read where he built the nest.