turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Outside-the-box advice for a newbie

Started by critter_sniper, February 14, 2013, 08:54:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

critter_sniper

I know there are threads upon threads of advice for new turkey hunters, so I am going to try to make this a bit different.

What would be one piece of "outside-the-box" type of advice you could give to a newbie?

In other words, instead of the typical - get out early and scout, or be sure to remain as still as possible, or pattern your gun ahead of time (just a few).

What is a good piece of advice that only comes from years of experience? 

Thanks in advance.

jblackburn

If your tired, sleep in! Some of the best hunting is after 10:00 am.

Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Byhalia

Never assume he isn't coming in !!!!!!    Use all your senses when sitting still...waiting for him to show up!!      :gobble:
~ Listen to the Wind ~    http://customprocalls.com/

BrowningGuy88

Don't convince yourself of anything. Being confident in your hunt and set-up makes the hunt more enjoyable if nothing else.

Sometimes there is that one gobbler that you have to pull out the deer hunter in yourself to kill. (I might have ambushed one or two that were driving me nuts!)

Spring_Woods

I wish I could capture a successful hunt on film because there's so much to learn from battle with a tough bird.

I'd imagine battling a tough field bird and having eyes on him and video him and studying every part of it. The body language, the gobble frequency, his reaction to different calls, every part. Being able to pause that and break that down to show a new turkey hunter could be priceless.
"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

guesswho

Pay attention to detail!  Sights, sounds and reactions can give you a lot of valuable information.  That squirrel that just stared barking just out of sight may be barking at what your looking for.  Lot's of critters will tell on a turkey, deer, crows, squirrels ect. can pin point a bird for you.  Also listen for more than just a gobble or yelp.  Some sounds that are guaranteed turkey go unnoticed to a lot of hunters.  Drumming, walking, scratching, stretching of the wings are a few examples. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

cahaba

Patience has been the cause of many a gobblers demise.

saltysenior

find a girl whose father has a BIG farm........... :z-winnersmiley: 

critter_sniper

Quote from: saltysenior on February 15, 2013, 12:22:40 PM
find a girl whose father has a BIG farm........... :z-winnersmiley:

Good advice...however, I'm pretty sure my wife would not be impressed by this tactic.

redleg06

Just because he doesnt want to play at first light, doesnt mean he wont want to in a few hours...

tjh24

I know this sounds strange, but sometimes scent contol can work in turkey hunting!  Heres my example, I have one spot that birds love to roost, but the deer love the spot too.  I have had it happen more times than not that I spook the deer going in and screw up my chances with the those birds.  The does start stomping and blowing and it puts the gobblers on edge.  I have to actually hunt the wind there and do my normal deer hunting scent control ritual to have a chance at those birds.

Another thing that a lot of people preach is to get as close as can be to the roosted birds.  I have had more bad luck with that than good.  I set up on a bird that was close to 200 yards out, but the woods was wide open, and I thought I could get a little closer.  I couldnt believe he could see me from that far away, but he did and flew down and across the lake to the other side where I couldnt get to him!

EMSDJ2

Don't start Turkey hunting it's way to addicting!!! :z-guntootsmiley: :z-guntootsmiley:

birdyhunter

In the right situations, say a grown up hay field, don't be afraid to get on your knees and crawl. I've snuck in range of a few non responsive birds ;D

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

jakebird

Try unconventional calling, aka sound effects. The most well known is leaf scratching but using a wing or your hat to do a flydown or even stretch and flap your wings. I also sometimes spit and drum with my voice. Scraping a wing on a tree is also a handy sound. Remember when leaf scratching to mimic the cadence of a turkey. One long, two quick...sound effects work especially well on pressured birds.
That ol' tom's already dead. He just don't know it yet .... The hard part is convincing him.

Are you REALLY working that gobbler, or is HE working YOU?

guesswho

Quote from: jakebird on February 18, 2013, 07:07:27 PM
Remember when leaf scratching to mimic the cadence of a turkey. One long, two quick...sound effects work especially well on pressured birds.
What cadence does two or more birds feeding sound like? :D
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff