turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Haint Gobble Reviews

Started by chrisg2709, February 12, 2013, 09:25:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

allchokedup

I listened to every gobble call at this years NWTF Convention and to me, the Haint was the best of all of them. My friend bought one and it sounded like a wounded goose and he sold it to someone real cheap. I should have bought it. The next day, I got enough courage to try one out at DND'S booth and after several tries I figured it out. I bought one and practiced blowing it and started getting better and better on it. When I got home , I contacted Jody at DND and played it over the phone to him. He gave me a few tips on shaking the call at the end and now its sounding even better. I practice everyday with it and I must say...the more you practice the more real turkey you get out of it. To me, its a lot of fun blowing this call. I like it so much that I ordered another just in case something happens to my first one. Once you learn to blow it, its real easy. My hats off to you guys that can gobble on a mouth call. To me....thats tuff to do.
Just my 2 cents.
Later, Choke

Devastator

I bought the haint last year and just about threw it out the window and i gave it another chance and am glad i did.Don't give up on it,practice,practice!

woodchip

My buddy bought two of them and let me borrow one.  He loves it I hate it.  Honestly I cannot blow the haint but he can and sounds just like the DND guys.  However, I have heard MANY real turkeys gobble from 200 plus yards to 10 yards away and I have never heard a turkey that sounds like the Haint. 

I just don't hear it.

rpinks

I purchased one when they first came out. I can gobble very well on a mouth call. I had never used a gobble in the field but like to try new things. Second day of Kentucky season had heard a couple birds way off and on other property. So about 9:30 I tried the haint and was answered right away way off. End of the story was I must have sounded like a Jake as that is what was responding to me. The Jake showed, 5 minutes later a long beard showed to run the Jake off. 10 minutes later I harvested a nice 3 or 4 yr old bird. He ran the Jake off and made his way to my hen decoy. I may not sound that good on it but it will carry sound a long ways. when hunting river bottoms that is what I need.
Thanks, RP

CallDr

The problem with any call that is not user friendly to the general public gets this reaction. Trumpet calls, Tube Calls and even the single reed Duck call are not just "plug and play". Some can never master them or make them work. Some calls are just like musical instruments and to be fair everyone is not "musically" inclined.

Even myself who normally does not have a problem using any call found it not easy to pick it right up. They have done a good job trying to "explain" how to get the sounds they are on there video. Yet it is extremely frustrating to not even get close to the guys who have mastered the technique.

I got a Harrison Hoot call and had problems with my air flow and "grip" at first. Once I spent the Time I was able to get the hang of it and am extremely happy with the sounds I am getting now.

I think one of the most "user friendly" gobble calls is a good box. If you put rubber bands or learn how to shake the lid with your hands....... it gets the job done. I personally use a Tube because it's a call I have used for so long. ( even though I am not great at it...lol )

Most of the time when a New product is introduced and Hyped well it has a pretty good run for a couple of years. It's been my experience that hunters tend to strip down and carry less calls over time.

The Gobble is not a call we use everyday. So having a call like a Box, Mouth Call or Tube that serves more than one purpose tends to stay in our vest more. I use the Jake gobble ( and yelps) 100 times more in the spring than a Mature gobble. But on a given day....... it's that one call that works. I like to be prepared to make any and all the sounds of Turkeys make because I never know what with blow his feathers back. I am older...... so I tend to carry less calls and still get the job done.

This is really not my review on any one call. Rather than the other calls that will gobble and how many times we actually use it. For some this call will serve some well.

www.wildtalker.com

perrytrails

I just purchased one, it takes some practice..

Just like they say on the instructional videos, it is easy ONCE you figure it out.

This might sound stupid but here it goes. LOL. Best advice I can give is try to stretch the corners of your mouth back towards your ears, like trying to show all your teeth.

This pulls your tongue back, and as you blow raise your tongue toward the roof of your mouth keeping it flat ..and blow. Let the tip flutter toward the highest point in the roof of your mouth.

This will let your tongue flutter slower than putting the tip up to the roof of your mouth, close to your front teeth.

Hope this helps...........only way I can get it to sound good..

chrisg2709

I used the haint this weekend in the woods for the first time and absolutely love it now more than ever. I had a bird gobbling and wanted to try it out. He would answer my box call and was about 200-300 yards through the timber. I gobbled back at him with the haint and immediately he answered back. I did this for the next few minutes and every time he gobbled i did, the he would gobble back again. It was an experience for sure. Im assuming he had hens because he wouldnt come to me. I wasnt in close enough range to threaten him.

After about 30 min. I yelped and had another bird, a little closer and in a different direct, answer. I know for a fact it wasnt the same bird circling around. He would gobble at every yelp , about 10 different times, so finally I gobbled back at him and he shut up and wouldnt answer anything. He obviously wasnt the dominate bird.

The next morning I was on another bird who was about 150 yard and moving away from me, dang those hens, I gobbled at him and again I was cut off. This went on for about 5 instances. However, he woulnt leave his hens and had moved across the land line so I couldnt try to get "in his personal space". The bird is still there as far as I know and plan to try again next weekend.

Just be sure he's the dominate one. Havent tried the jake gobble on any yet.

Anyways, with all this said I know if you have a dominate bird, he will answer. I absolutely LOVE THE HAINT.
Thanks to the guys at D&D for this extroadinary call.

perrytrails

This is my son on the Haint with a couple days practice.

It's the polycarbonate Haint, I think it sounds really good.

http://youtu.be/6mCEvFWouAs

weave

Just got one...gonna take a bit to learn but does not seem too bad so far.

ElkTurkMan

I am still trying to learn mine as well.