Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How Many Chokes does a person Need for Everything?

Started by 3" 870 Shell Shucker, February 12, 2013, 01:02:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

3" 870 Shell Shucker

How Many Chokes does a person Need for Everything?

Skeet, Sporting Clays, Trap, Card Shooting, Bird Hunting, Duck Hunting, Goose Hunting, Small Game Hunting, Turkey Hunting, Deer Hunting with Slugs and Buckshot, Home Defense, the whole nine yards.  Everything possible?

3, 5, 7, ???

3" 870 Shell Shucker

I think it takes at least 7 chokes to do everything well.

Skeet- Skeet, and very close range bird / duck hunting
ImpCyl- Slugs for deer, close range bird and rabbit, ducks in the decoys, and home defense
Mod- All-around choke for mid-range hunting and pass shooting ducks
ImpMod- Trap, long range wingshooting / goose hunting
Light Full / Full- Trap, squirrel hunting
XFull- Buckshot for deer, coyotes
Turkey- Turkeys, coyotes

Swampwise

Got an uncle that used to fish competitively. You couldn't walk on the front of his boat for all of the rod/reel combos rigged up and laying around. He said that he didn't have time to retie a different lure, just grab another rig. So with that thinking, don't bother with different chokes, just buy more guns! One for every season, species, and activity and you should be set.  :fud:  ;D
I have the BFOTP!

SumToy

SK for skeet or birds
LM Sporting Clay, Dove and Waterfowl.
HM Buckshot, Dove and Waterfowl.

Turkey choke.

Target/Turkey same in some guns and shells.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

the Ward

Hankyorke

I have about 9 chokes for my main gun. The only time LM leaves the barrel I for skeet or turkeys.

BrowningGuy88

I have a full set for my double barrel that I shoot clays and birds with. IC,LM,M,IM,F,XF for it. For my other shotguns, they are either fixed choke barrels or turkey guns. The turkey guns only have turkey chokes and buckshot chokes for predators.

mightyjoeyoung

Bwahahahahaha!  If you figure it takes around 7 chokes to cover every situation/type of shooting then I most definitely.have that covered...in spades!  For my multi-use shotgun s I have at least a half dozen chokes, not including turkey chokes.  For my 835's and other turkey guns, I have at least that many for each.  I am looking at 14 chokes that fit the 835 alone as I type this.  Lol
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

Xcal1ber

Just need 2 chokes for everything I hunt. Turkey choke, and modified choke.
He shouldn't ought done'nat........ He dead.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

QuoteJust need 2 chokes for everything I hunt. Turkey choke, and modified choke.

I know in the old days, the choke was part of the barrel, and you just used what you had.  I hunted with some guns that I never even patterned back then.

But times have changed, and there is a better way.

goblr77

Barrel length comes into play. Assuming the barrel is 26" I would have the following:

IC or LM for doves
Full for buckshot
SF for turkey

3" 870 Shell Shucker

70%, at any distance, is Full at "that" distance. So, if I like 70%.....
Which chokes give me 70% with "this" shell, at 10, 20, 30, and 40 Yards?

savduck

I've got an old side by side Fox that I inherited. One full, one modified barrel. I've shot quail, pheasant, dove, duck, deer, and this year plan to kill a turkey. It may not be a 100 in ten pattern for turkey but it will kill far enough.

To answer your question...you really don't need but one good choke and know how to shoot. I'd say an improved modified and you can kill pretty much anything. It's nice to have all those specialized chokes though.
Georgia Boy

3" 870 Shell Shucker

I believe I could cut the list of 7 chokes I originally posted, down to just 5 chokes if I had to....maybe even 4.

.005 Skeet
.010 Improved Cylinder (Possibly drop this one from the list)
.020 Modified
.025 Improved Modified
.040 Extra Full

BrowningGuy88

After reading this thread again - if you are talking NEED....

I could make do with my Model 12 with its 30" full choke barrel for all my shotgun needs. However, I do like my options!