OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

What calls in your vest do you have the most & the least confidence in?

Started by FullChoke, February 04, 2013, 11:10:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FullChoke

Turkey hunters seem to love to carry a bucket full of calls with them to the spring woods just in case that if one doesn't work, this other one just might flip his switch. What call are you most confident in on any given morning and what call do you still lug around for nostalgia sake that has never been answered by anything with feathers?

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

mightyjoeyoung

Diaphrams:  Quaker Boy Screamin' Green Hecklin' Hen, Raspy Ole' Hen and my new favorite, The Tru-Tone Triple Bat Wing.  Took my best gobbler ever with it last spring.

Pot calls:  Believe it or not, An OLD Knight & Hale Aluminum pot call (can't remember the name), given to me by Harold Knight himself when they came up to hunt NY State with my dad and his friends on their farm about 20 years ago. 

Locator:  Onother OLD call...a Lhoman barred owl call.  VERY LOUD and NEVER fails to shock a bird on the roost.  Sounds true but has volume I haven't been able to find in another call.  Paid I think 10 bucks for it at wal mart over 20 years ago.
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

gophert

Diaphrams:  MotherLoad Calls Xterminator and Medusa (If you haven't tried some of Joe Slayton's calls I would highly recommend.  Those 2 are pure turkey.  The Xterminator is the easiest mouth call I have ever run.  Woodhaven Red wasp is the other. 

Pot: LightsOut Padack and Copper

Box:  Woodhaven Real Hen

tiggere

Diaphrams:  Raspy...don't care what brand...just want a raspy call that when used softly is clean and gets raspy as you finish a cluck or purr...

Pot: Ol' Yellar from Knight and Hale...called in every turkey I have killed

Box:  don't use

Locator: don't use

the reason for not using a locator and box call is that every yahoo that thinks they know how to turkey hunt will start hammering them with locator and loud box calls to make them gobble while scouting a couple weeks before season starts...you hit a locator around here and most will never make a sound and come off the roost quiet...

FullChoke

On the most confidence side:

Mouth Diaphragm - Flextone Freak Nasty - no kidding
Friction - Well conditioned Primos Power Crystal and a purpleheart striker
Air Operated - Wingbone/cowhorn - Ear-piercing volume that really gets their attention.
Owl Hooter - My own voice. I have roused many gobbles from the Toms with it through the years.

As a side note: If I find myself needing one more bird this season to fill my limit in MS, I am taking all turkey calls out of my vest and going after them just using my natural voice. I have done it in the past without success, but one day it will happen.

Least Confidence side:
Mouth Diaphragm - Anything by Preston Pittman, they don't fit my mouth.
Friction - Aluminum and carbon striker - Some folks love them, me, not so much!
Boat paddle box call - I have a Neil Cost replica (walnut & butternut) that works maybe once a season, not enough to make it worth carrying though.
Pushpin - I know they work, but I just don't want to fool with the one that I have.

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

dawei

Quote from: FullChoke on February 04, 2013, 11:10:41 AM
Turkey hunters seem to love to carry a bucket full of calls with them to the spring woods just in case that if one doesn't work, this other one just might flip his switch. What call are you most confident in on any given morning and what call do you still lug around for nostalgia sake that has never been answered by anything with feathers?

FC
I only carry calls I'm confident will work. While I have many calls my two best are a Lynch® "Jet Slate" pan call; and, a Lynch® World Champion (#102) Box Call. I bought these two calls in 03/1978 and use them more than all my other turkey calls combined!

Two other Pot Calls I really like are Hunter Specialties® Ring Zone™, one in slate & the other in glass.

I guess I'm a real "Old School" Turkey hunter in that I use two ancient calls, a 20ga, & Pb ammo. :funnyturkey:

David

Only two defining forces ever died for you.
1. Jesus Christ.
2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, and Marine.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

FullChoke

Quote from: dawei on February 05, 2013, 05:09:35 PM
I only carry calls I'm confident will work. While I have many calls my two best are a Lynch® "Jet Slate" pan call; and, a Lynch® World Champion (#102) Box Call. I bought these two calls in 03/1978 and use them more than all my other turkey calls combined!

That takes me back! The first turkey call I ever bought was a Lynch's single-sided Fool Proof box call in 1975 and used it for many years and killed my first turkey with it. It finally got to where it didn't sound so good so I brought it to the NWTF National Convention and found Alan Jenkins doing a seminar on box calls. I went up before the seminar and asked him to tune it for me. He started the seminar by showing the call off to everyone and then he whips a screwdriver out of his pocket, rakes the lid a few times across the box making a little adjustment this way and that. He finally put the screwdriver back in his pocket and announced to everyone there that the call was "dead" and should not be used any longer. I was crushed, but thankful that he was able to deliver the eulogy over the old girl. I wound up giving it to a prominent turkey call collector for his collection.

FC

Sand Man

Like everyone else I have way too many calls.  Probably my most prized is a Lynch box call.  I don't know the model, but when I was about 10 it was my dad's call.  I dropped it and chipped the paddle on top.  He gave it to me and bought himself a knew one.  He's been thru 4-5 over the years and hates the sound of everyone of them.  He's wanted that chipped paddle Lynch box back since he gave it to me.  I have a Primos box I like really well also. I've killed birds over both.  I'm a big pot call fan as well.  I have Lightsout and I forget the other custom maker in about every configuration imaginable.  I've killed birds over all those calls.

I used to not be real confident in my mouth calls.  I always ran Quacker Boy mouth calls and would stick one in my mouth for when the birds got close and I couldn't use my hands, but it was never my go to call.  That changed once a good friend convienced my to try Hooks mouth calls.  I've killed several birds with just those mouth calls.

I also have a Joyner (I think is the name) call.  It's got a wood striker, slate striker, and a peg for the slate on top of the call.  Very unique call that's very versitle.  I like it because it's something most other hunters don't have and helps me give a different sound on pressured public birds.

So with that said, I wouldn't say I'm more or less confident in any of my calls I carry.  I just try to find what the bird is answering and stick with that.  It's funny how one day they'll only respond to a slate pot call to the next day only my cedar box call.  Go figure!!!!!!

Let the little twenty EAT!!!!

Eric Gregg

Confidence side: Southland Game Calls Eastern special diaphram call. That thing is the most underated mouth call in my opinion. Don't see any one on the forum talk about them but they are good.

Unconfident: any mouth call put out by H.S. Strut.......

spurz

My go to calls are David Halloran Crystal Mistress,Houndstooth and Tom Teasers mouth calls, and my Hooks Harrison Hooter.