turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Anybody got waterproofing ideas for snake boots

Started by savduck, January 21, 2013, 09:50:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

savduck

Got some Rockie snake boots that seem to allow water to seep through the nylon now. Anybody know a good product to waterproof them again
Georgia Boy

BOB_HARWELL

Call Rocky & ask them. They should know what will work best.

Bob

Thebody

I scotchguard the heck outta my mesh running shous and it works ok.  Maybe it will work on snakeboots.
Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth.  Mike Tyson

Well He shoulda armed himself if he's gonna decorate his saloon with my friend.  Will Munny

Neill_Prater

I've always just used the silicone waterproofing spray like you buy at Walmart. I've found all the Cordura boots, even those with Gore-Tex will eventually leak if you don't spray them regularly.

Oconeeguy

I have owned 4 pairs of snake boots over the years. ALL of them have leaked, even though 3 of the 4 were 'name' brand boots and they all clearly had "Waterproof" prominently on the label. I finally decided just to ignore it, even though it is irritating as heck. Apparently, the technology just hasn't progressed enough for companies to be able to make a waterproof boot that is also snake proof !

However, a greater concern exists in my mind. For these 4 companies to proclaim so boldly on the label that a boot is waterproof, a claim very easy for a buyer to test, when i have found my 4 pairs were not, raises the question that the boots might not be 100% snake proof! That would be something much less easily tested by a buyer.

JELLYHEAD

Obenauf's heavy duty leather preservative . $15.25 for 8oz jar, worked like a champ on my danners. Just follow directions, I had to reapply twice last year but I went a lot & my boots have endured many seasons deer & turkey ( I hate snakes!) . There is enough in that jar for many years for you & 3 or 4 of your buddies. We barley knocked a dent in the one I have. Russell moccasin has it on their web sight. Hope this helps Dale. 

Oconeeguy

Jellyhead, all of my snake boots have been the fabric-looking type (kevlar??), not the leather style. This material you mention work on fabric-style?

Turkey Trot

Obenauf has a website and material on youtube put up by the company and others. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33H4pEfyS-0

Consider Nikwax, Granger, and Cadillac products.  You may want to look around on REI's website.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZCfVCK1l94

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rrvVQUX4iA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jGMAAixszI
Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter

tha bugman

+1
Quote from: Neill_Prater on January 22, 2013, 12:38:43 AM
I've always just used the silicone waterproofing spray like you buy at Walmart. I've found all the Cordura boots, even those with Gore-Tex will eventually leak if you don't spray them regularly.

Trax

I have the Rocky Snake boots as well and by season 2 they were letting some water in even just walking across fields in the morning dew.

I sprayed about a whole can of scotchguard on them and haven't had a problem in a year.

savduck

I did some reading, nothing really made suggestions but they did say that you can clog the pours of the gortex.

basically it said that the exterior nylon will let water absorb, then hit the gortex. The gortex is waterproof, but if you treat it with the wrong stuff, the pores clog and your feets sweat cant get out of the gortex, there by making it feel like you have wet feet.

Thanks gents, I think Im gonna try some of whats mentioned. Aqua seal also makes a Seam sealing product. i use their wader repairs on my duck waders and its the best ive used, so i think the seam seal may be good to.
Georgia Boy

Notsoyoungturk

Pulling this old topic back up as my Rocky snake boots have also started leaving me with wet feet after crossing dew laden fields.  I saw Scotchguard.  Did anyone else find a product they really liked?
A hunt based on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be - Fred Bear

aclawrence

Full grain leather hikers with turtle skin snake gaiters is the way to go in my opinion. I've never heard of a snake boot that didn't leak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dtrkyman

Gore Tex breathable function is minimal at best!

I know guys who mixed silicone caulk and thinner to seal boots, some guys went crazy over clogging the gore Tex, who gives a chit of it leaks anyway!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sir-diealot

I have heard others in the past suggest waterproof socks. Not sure if that would be an option?
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."