OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: DIY painted bottomland  (Read 564 times)

Offline Notsoyoungturk

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
    • Reel South Outfitters
DIY painted bottomland
« on: February 04, 2024, 03:17:23 PM »
I had a Tristar Cobra 3 Youth in the black synthetic that I wanted to set up as a turkey gun. I bought a set of stencils from Freedom Stencils for $45 (for a whole gun, you need the 6 sheet package). 

https://www.freedomstencils.com/collections/camouflage-stencils/products/bottom-lands-camouflage-stencil-kit

In the first picture, I put the linear stick bark stencils (yellow) over the black synthetic.  I painted the whole gun with Rustoleum camo brown.  That step can be seen in picture 2.  On top of the brown paint, I placed the blotchy stickers (yellow).
A hunt based on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be - Fred Bear

Offline Notsoyoungturk

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
    • Reel South Outfitters
Re: DIY painted bottomland
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2024, 03:20:25 PM »
I painted over the blotchy sticker with Rustoleum tan.  After drying, I pealed off the stickers then put 2 coats of rustoleum matte clear and attached my optic.  The last picture is the finished product.  I have decided to paint the  rib cap to match.
A hunt based on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be - Fred Bear

Offline soILstrutter

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2024, 11:08:19 AM »
This looks awesome. Nice work! I made my own stencils a few years back and did an old summit climber with it.    Did you have any issues with the rustoleum bubbling when applying the clear coat? How long did you wait between coats?

Offline Notsoyoungturk

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
    • Reel South Outfitters
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2024, 09:45:12 PM »
No problems.  It was interesting.  When I read the can, it said put on second coat of matte finish within 30 minutes or after 48 hours.  I put the second coat on at 25 minutes.  I let the base paint coats dry for about 4 hours before putting on the matte finish

Offline Ranman

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2024, 04:42:28 PM »
Nice work.. that looks great!

Offline runngun

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2024, 07:32:30 PM »
Man you did such a great job on the camo!!! Looks better than some I have seen that were dipped!!
Then you totally got inside my head!!! That last picture, I kept looking at it trying to figure out what was holding the dadgum gun UP!!! I KNOW, PRETTY DUMB TO ADMIT IT!!!
IT'S OKAY, LAUGH!!!

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Offline Notsoyoungturk

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
    • Reel South Outfitters
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2024, 10:24:49 PM »
It is a little disorienting  :). I was trying to make it match the others.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2024, 11:08:22 PM by Notsoyoungturk »

Offline Buckman84

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2024, 02:33:07 PM »
Man had to go and order me a kit now, did a camo job on my 320 pump and like the looks of this kit better.

Offline Notsoyoungturk

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
    • Reel South Outfitters
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2024, 02:39:47 PM »
Post a picture for us.