Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

what would be good to feed wild turkeys

Started by GOBBLER CRAZY, January 10, 2013, 02:39:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GOBBLER CRAZY

what would be good to start feeding the turkeys ?  i have food plots allready planted but they are killing them i wont something to feed them to slack off my plots thanks  :popcorn:

guesswho

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

davisd9

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

vaturkey

Vaturkey

GOBBLER CRAZY

DO YOU PUT IT IN A FEEDER OR JUST SPREAD IT OUT ON GROUND

Hhayes6

I put milo out here in AL starting Feb. 1st every year. Cracked corn is good as mentioned above but if you have alot of deer like we do they will eat on the corn all night crushed or not and coons will really hammer it. For some reason coons want touch the milo(at least out of probably 5000 game pics last year I don't have one on camera). Deer will eat it but nothing like corn. Just spread it out very good make them work and scratch around for it that's what they like.

GOBBLER CRAZY

how many bags per week and how much does milo cost thanks

Hhayes6

$9.25 50lb bag here last year....that's all up to you how much and how often. Once you get them coming they will keep coming back checking it. I have 1000 acres I hunt by myself and take my dad some when he can and I have 12 "places" I feed  once a week for 1 month Feb. 1st- March 1st. and have cameras. Normally 1/3 bag each spot. Spread them out good across property. Ive learned that this and brown top millet in the summer will keep the birds on your property and greatly increase your flock year after year.

Thomas6689

take corn and scatter it in a broad area it will keep them busy scratchin for it and will take longer to eat it.  plus you dont have to worry about the rain turning it bad like if it were in a pile.

oldwoodoutfitters

I am a land manager as well as a outfitter. Ive tired different things over the years. The feed I have found that
works the best are Black Oil Sunflower seeds and Poultry Feed Crumbles both pack around 20% crude protein.
All my birds on our farm are so healthy, with long beards, shiny feathers, and it helps with the egg shells making them stronger and give the young birds a head start.

Thats what works for me, just gotta test different things out.

P.S. Corn is just a filler and does not offer much in way of nutrition for animals.

Ded Goblr

Corn  8.0%
Black sunflower seeds 14%
Soft wheat  10%
Hard wheat  15%
Milo  8.2 %
Sorghum  9-12%
Millet  9-12%

These are all crude protien levels.
Hope this helps..  DG

Arra

I feed wheat and milo. I try to stay away from corn. It draws to many deer and hogs.

renegade19

Quote from: guesswho on January 10, 2013, 03:14:13 PM
#6's
Funny!  I've found that around here they really like Hevi 7's or Winchester Supreme 4's.  Must be a geographic thing...........