Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

If you plan to buy ammo of any kind... don't put it off!

Started by lightsoutcalls, January 09, 2013, 12:35:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

30_06

It's crazy here as well. I literally bought the last box of ammo from a local store. Called to verify he had ammo in stock, said he had 20 boxes, took me 12 minutes to drive there, and I was able to buy the only box he had left.

Huntress

Stores around the panhandle of WV are sold out.  When you bring up local gun shop appreciation day on January 19th, they shake their heads.  Everything is sold out.  When you see it, buy it, or it's gone.  I have seen people buying guns that weren't what they wanted just because they were afraid they'd get nothing.  It's a sad state of affairs, however, saying "wait till the panic is over" might not be good advice.  With the things we've seen here in America these past 4 years, demand we've seen the past few weeks might be nothing before it's all said and done.

...the gun shops have been warning us this would happen.  I've been told for the past year, "ammo is hard to come by."  "Buy it when you can."  It's a shame.  Used to just go buy a box of whatever you needed when you need it.  Now everyone's buying in bulk and the shelves are empty out of fear.  The liberals have driven gun loving folks to buying and hoarding.  There is more ammo out there in circulation than ever before...same thing with AR's and Magpul magazines.  Folks who never would have chosen that gun are buying BECAUSE they won't be told they CAN'T have it. 

Sad thing is...drunk drivers and gangs kill more innocent people than gun loving American's.  We have more respect for human life.

mossy835

Went to Cabelas yesterday and bought ten boxes of pistol ammo (their limit per customer) and they actually had a normal inventory of ammunition. I was surprised but they were real thin on pistols and there were at least twenty people waiting to get their firearms. I could not find one Ruger in their cases to look at other than one revolver.

lightsoutcalls

I got an email from Lucky Gunner with my tracking number.  My package is on a truck in an adjacent town currently.  It should arrive today.  Hopefully I can run a few rounds through my new LC9 this weekend.

I honestly would rather have spent the money on some new treestands or a new blind than the little Ruger... but... they would be hard to carry concealed and likely wouldn't stop a "zombie".   ::)

Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

tha bugman

I am in the shooting industry and thats what we keep hearing as well.

GSLAM95

I talked to a friend this morning that is one of the largest wholesale distributors in the nation.  I was told that right now ammo companies are focusing their production on rifle and pistol ammunition due to demand. 
Speculating of course......but, could it be that there is more mark-up in rifle/pistol ammo than there is in shotgun turkey loads?  Was also told they were given no definite date of when we would see more Federal Heavyweight produced. 

Apologizing:  does not always mean you are wrong and the other person is right. 
It just means that you value your relationship more than your ego.

tha bugman

flying off the shelves...all AR's and tactical shotguns....gone!

vaturkey

I just spoke to a Tech Service guy today at Federal & the HW shells are still being produced.

vaturkey   :newmascot:
Vaturkey

Frankinthelaurels

And who's causing the shortages.... WE ARE  ...!! Our HOARDING and GREED are to blame! Gotta get it before some one else does is the attitude when they arrive at gun shops.. SAD BUT TRUE .. You'll see tons more being manufactured, cost will rise 25-40% and you'll be able to buy all you want in a few months at the new costs. Why is that we shooters and the hunters do this to ourselves every time someone rattles the bushes.. what fools we are, we fall every time for the same ole' ploy.. Didn't we learn anything from what we just did to ourselves over the so-called primer shortages!! What jerks we all are, we believe every rumor as if it were written in the good book! Some day we'll learn hopefully

lightsoutcalls

Quote from: Frankinthelaurels on January 11, 2013, 12:50:53 PM
And who's causing the shortages.... WE ARE  ...!! Our HOARDING and GREED are to blame! Gotta get it before some one else does is the attitude when they arrive at gun shops.. SAD BUT TRUE .. You'll see tons more being manufactured, cost will rise 25-40% and you'll be able to buy all you want in a few months at the new costs. Why is that we shooters and the hunters do this to ourselves every time someone rattles the bushes.. what fools we are, we fall every time for the same ole' ploy.. Didn't we learn anything from what we just did to ourselves over the so-called primer shortages!! What jerks we all are, we believe every rumor as if it were written in the good book! Some day we'll learn hopefully

If you want to call yourself a jerk and a fool, have at it.  However, you might want to reconsider calling the rest of us names just because we might not see things exactly as you see it.  If some knothead who gets a rise out of all of the media hype about "shooters" decides to make a name for himself in a public place where you are, I hope you don't have to rely on that ammo that you are waiting a few months to buy. 
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

GSLAM95

Quote from: vaturkey on January 11, 2013, 12:09:06 PM
I just spoke to a Tech Service guy today at Federal & the HW shells are still being produced.

vaturkey   :newmascot:
ricky did he say when they would be hitting the shelves or how much of a price increase we would see with the cost of tungsten going through the roof?

Apologizing:  does not always mean you are wrong and the other person is right. 
It just means that you value your relationship more than your ego.

tomstopper

Quote from: Frankinthelaurels on January 11, 2013, 12:50:53 PM
OK. I agree we as hunters & shooters (also all other concerned citizens) are causing the prices to skyrocket due to our Hoarding, but I disagree with your term GREED. Instead it is more like fear. The worthless politicans that we have in charge of us right now are the real ones to blame. The American people cant trust them to do the right thing. Our constitution is being trampled over daily and now are Second Amendment is being targeted to. It is my right to be able to defend all that belongs to me (home, family, & self) in our troubled nation & I like many others don't believe they are going to protect us when every thing comes to a head. If this means having a large supply of whatever I think is necessary to get this done (ammo & weapons at the top of the list), this my friend is not GREED but instead is SURVIVAL. Who knows what laws will be passed and how it will effect everything from hunting to protection. All I know is that I refuse to be a victim in any way shape or form. As a law abiding citizen, why should I be restricted to what I can buy/use, how much ammo I can have, etc? The fact is that our government is to large and my rights are paying the price. What is going on is not happening due to rumors, but instead is due to a nation that is becoming divided daily and is crumbling. I would rather go into panic mode and be prepared than be naive and think that everything will be fine. If this makes me greedy than so be it but at least I am giving myself a fighting chance.

tha bugman

Just went to a pawn and gun store in town....unbelievable the amount of people that were there!  I got the last parking space and the shelves are getting bare!

3" 870 Shell Shucker

Van's Deer Processing sold 200 guns out of their physical store in just one day, the week after those children were killed.

Frankinthelaurels

More and more examples of exactly why things are as they are... WE ARE CAUSING OUR OWN PROBLEM !! Someday the madness will stop. The only ones smiling are the manufacturers and believe me it's good times in the shooting industry.  :TrainWreck1: