turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How to use a trumpet call?

Started by totallycluckedup, December 19, 2012, 01:58:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stone road turkey calls

pull out your transmission dip stick, insert trumpet, pour in fluid.
Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

pappy

Quote from: stone road turkey calls on December 21, 2012, 06:20:09 PM
hahahahahaha......that may work for your trumpets there ol boy.....but at 3/32" hole on the end in the dip stick tube it's gonna take a while to fill that tranny up....lol
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

stone road turkey calls

Quote from: pappy on December 22, 2012, 10:09:07 AM
Quote from: stone road turkey calls on December 21, 2012, 06:20:09 PM
hahahahahaha......that may work for your trumpets there ol boy.....but at 3/32" hole on the end in the dip stick tube it's gonna take a while to fill that tranny up....lol

your right that could take awhile, don't own a trumpet did not know they had such a small diameter intake.
Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

barry

After hearing of the success that trumpet users were having I got the itch to try one about 5-6 months ago. Let me tell ya, it ain't as easy as they make it look. It took days before I got a sound that resembled a turkey out out of one, so don't get discouraged! If you have used a wingbone in the past I think you will pick it up much quicker than I did.
After getting a few pointers on running one - I watched Dels video countless times - PRACTICE is the key! I keep my trumpets at my desk so at any time I can grab one and get some practice in. Though not my #1 call I feel comfortable enuff now that I could call in a turkey with a trumpet.
I did find that by postioning the mouthpiece at different locations on my lips I was able to find a "spot" that works best for me.
Remember the trick is to pull air "softly", you'll be surprised at what comes out.
Good luck and keep us informed.

savduck

Barry, here is my 7 year old..he was still 6 when he did this,

Georgia Boy

turkey-slayer

It does take much practice to use the trumpet calls or wingbone caller for that matter. I'm 62 years old, I mean young and have been huntin turks since I was about 22 years old. I have been lucky enough to have taken birds with just about any number of different turkey calls over the years from Lynch boxes and Jet slates to mouth calls(diaphram), pot calls, turtle shells slates, Neil Cost type boxes, Turpins etc. But it took me almost 1 year to get to where I felt good enough to use the trumpet caller to help lure turkeys into shooting range. I practiced nearly everyday using the trumpet call and after my ups and downs I finally figured out how to use one to call a bird to the gun. My biggest problem that I was having was trying to pull to much air and the correct finger manipulation of tonal sounds necessary to get a good 2-note yelp. In other words I was over playing the call. Most people can relate to what I'm talking about. Can I play the trumpet call Perfectly, Not Hardly, but I like what comes out of them most of the time. It's one more item that helps the hunter get his bird and sometimes that is what I enjoy most. If you learn how to correctly use a trumpet call you will find that there are not as many hunters using this type caller and I suspect that turkeys are turned on more to this sound. So far, I've called in and killed 4 longbeards using the trumpet caller and this just happened in the last several years. I now own over 20 trumpet calls from various callmakers across the country. Most any of them will call birds but some are certainly better at it than others. Who's to say which is best but I really like Billy Buice, Ralph Permar, Matt McLane, Irving Whit, Richard Hudson, Jack "Pappy" Lewis, and Brian Mero trumpets. Mike Almond makes a good hunting trumpet also. There are others that are good also so give it a try and good luck to you. Just remember to Practice Practice Practice. Sorry to be so long-winded!

barry

Daggone Del, you had to post that to make me feel bad didn't ya. :)  He'll be a trumpet master before long.

Like turkey-slayer said finger manipulation or controlling air flow is a big part of learning a trumpet

strutnrut

The ease of draw or pull is what makes a good trumpet great. If it won't kee or whistle then chances are it not the best of trumpets. Myself I like a harder tonal wood for the body and an Ivory mouthpiece.  One of the most deadly suckon calls I have is a jenny wingbone in a Water Buffalo body.  Learning to not over play the call is key. A soft true pull will help you make a wide range of sound. Most people call entirely to loud.  You should be able to stand under a roost tree and call to the hens and not spook them, that how soft you can get with a good trumpet or yelper.  Fall hunting will teach you a lot. If you can call a flock of hens into you then a Hot Springtime Tom is childs play.  Prices, well there is an old saying "You get what you pay for and you pay for what you get". IMO  but any callmaker worth their salt will be more than happy to stand behind their work and take back a call if it just doesn't suit you. Not everyone runs a call the same.

totallycluckedup

Ordered a call from pappy tonight.  Can't wait to start practicing.  Thanks Pappy.

savduck

Congrats on your decision. Jack makes a good trumpet for the money. it sounds great and will kill birds without breaking the bank.

We all want to see it when you get it.
Georgia Boy

totallycluckedup

Will do. I also picked up a tube call as well. He's a really good guy to have a chat with.

barry

That little brass sleeved tube that Pappy makes is slam full of turkey.