Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

PLZ HELP BEEN 3 YEARS AFTER THE BOSS GOBBLER

Started by GOBBLER CRAZY, December 10, 2012, 06:05:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GOBBLER CRAZY

OK HERE IS A FAST BREAKDOWN OF THE GOBBLER I BEEN AFTER OK. GAS LINE RUNS THROUGH LAND BIRD BEEN ROOSTING IN PINE DOWN BELOW RIGHT NEXT TO A CREEK I BEEN HUNTING THE GASLINE CAUSE WHERE HE ROOST AT HE HAS ALOT OF HENS WITH HIM . THERE IS A OLD LOGGING ROAD THAT GO DOWN TO THE PINES AND CREEK BUT ITS ALL DOWN HILL INTELL YOU GET TO THE FLAT OF PINES SHOULD I TRY THIS SPRING TO GO DOWN TO FLAT RIGHT WHERE HE IS ROOSTING OR STAY TOWARDS THE TOP ON LOGGING ROAD CAUSE THE HENS WILL NOT COME TO GAS LINE WIN I CALL IN THE MORING THEY STAY DOWN CLOSE TO CREEK PLZ TRY HELP ME OUT BYE TELLING ME THE BEST WAY TO KILL HIM I BEEN PUTING OFF THE OTHER BIRDS BECAUSE OF HIM SOMETHING ABOUT THAT BIRD GETS ME  :OGani: :fud: :fud:

strut2

Ill throw some suggestions your way. do any of the hens talk much when they are with him? If the do try to work the hens. Try to find that boss hen and cut her off and if she gets mad enough she may just come take a look and you know boss Tom will be right with her. It can be very difficult when a gobbler has hens. Seldom will you get a gobbler to leave them as I'm sure you know but I have had it happen. Does he have any patterns when he flies off the roost? If he just walks that creek bottom all day I wouldn't be afraid to get down in there Esepically if you know where he is roosting. Also make sure he isn't pitching across the creek when he flies down. But if all else fails I would go down to his turf and play his game. Good luck hope you get him this year.

guesswho

Sleep in.  Hit the gas line 9 to 3 or so.  If this don't work send me the gps coords.  Good luck!
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Basser69

I am with guesswho on this one. Let him do his thing with the ladys early then smack him in the face midmorning when he is looking for one of the gals he missed that morning

cahaba

I wouldn't waste my time on him. You said you had been puting off other birds to chase him. I have done that to many times. If I can't kill him in 3 days I will go find another bird. It's very hard to call a bird off of a bunch of hens. I think a dominate bird sometimes gets so used to hens coming to him that he won't come to you unless everything is just right. You can waste a better part of a season by getting a personal vendetta against a bird like that. If I'm blessed to have filled all my tags but one I might bare down on him. That's just me and the way I hunt.

Hooksfan

Find another turkey to hunt.
I spent several hunts with a student of mine trying to help him kill the same bird for two years.  Preseason there were several birds gobbling in the area.  By the time the season came around, there was only the one.  He would gobble once on the roost and once on the ground.  He ignored all calls and never went the same way.  That first year, we went to another area of the farm and I called in his first turkey before school one morning, but this one difficult bird haunted me.
Normally, I am skeptical about folks claiming to hunt the same bird for several years, but there was no doubt with this one.  The second year came along and same thing happened.  I told the kid, who had now graduated, that he HAD to kill that bird if he hoped to salvage the rest of the season.  The last time I hunted the bird with him, we got close enough to pinpoint the group of trees he was roosted in--The only thing that was ever consistent about this bird.  Since MO has a 1 PM closure, an evening hunt was not within the legal frameworks.  However; it is legal to shoot a bird off the roost in Missouri as long as it is legal shooting time--A rule I absolutely disagree with.  But.......for once in my life, I told the kid to sneak in there and limb shoot that turkey.
He sent me a pic of the bird the next morning from his phone.  He had 1.5" spurs.  It only took about two days for the other gobblers to move back in and we took three more birds out of that area before the season ended. 

TURKEYWHACKER

I agree with the theory of hunt him from late morning on. Florida has a 1:00pm cut off time on public land and a buddy and I killed 2 gobblers opening day at 12:00pm and 12:57pm. They wouldn't play early on due to the hens they had, but when the girls moved on for the day...BOOM.

Onpoint

We had a bird like that a couple years back. We actually called him the gas line bird. My uncle and grandad tried to kill him two seasons, Well that next year rolled around and it was the youth season and my grandad took my lil cousin over there and they went after him. Bird went the other way like he always did. I ended up killin him about a week into the season, he had the best spurs I've got, 1 5/8. I killed him the way I hunt public land birds. I called very soft, never yelped. Just a soft cluck or two here n there and scratching the leaves. He stayed just outta sight hung up for about twenty minutes and I never made another sound next thing I know there he was. Something you could try if u can get in there close without spooking any turkeys is get close early, be real easy with him and gradually a lil mire excited and break loose with a fly down cackle then maybe a cluck or two and shut up n wait, might work might not. But I have done this a lot over the years and sometimes right  after that they pitch right on down. The goal here is to be the first hen on the ground. If he's got a bunch with him it prolly won't work but ya never kno.

Onpoint

That bird in my avatar was our 'gasline' bird.

Jay

I've got a spot in Kansas that is impossible to get a Tom off the private land to the Public early in the season. They have more Hens to breed than they can handle. So, I go back towards the end of the season, when Hens left to breed are nil. Set up, call them in and kill them. It's been my pattern now for 3 years.

lonnie sneed jr.

Walk right in them and bust them like a Fall flock. Get set up,  in a good place after you get a good bust on them,  call him in and kill him. If this does not work call me with detailed location were he is  :TooFunny: just kidding. Good luck. And busting them away from hens off the roost has worked me several times.

:OGturkeyhead:

Thomas6689

ambush him figure out where he is going, get there and wait on him

cluck

GOBBLER CRAZY;  Get in very early before day light. Hope for a full moon. Then you don't need flashlight. Then match that hen call for call. Make her mad. Swap some trash talk with her. Don't be bashfull. If they all fly down and go away from you, just stay put near his tree. If you move or follow him stay between him and his  tree. He"ll come back. If your late to the party he may want nothing to do with you. If your early then he knows your calls and will respond to your call until quiting time. I've had hunters walk by me and call but he won't gobble because he, the hunter wasn't with him at daylight. If he goes for a mile away stay between and and his tree. And if you get his girlfriend to come to you its game over for him. Ive sat from daylight until one oclock siting by the same tree and it works. Have staying power and good things happen. You will never forget the tough ones and have a good turkey story for the kids. God bless's and the memories are great!    Cluck

SheGotHoOks

Go for a few mornings and just listen. Listen where the flock goes when they fly down.. If they go to the same place every mornin you kno where to be. Figure out where they go, be there early, leave ya calls in ya vest, n bring that ole stubborn bird home. :)

lmbhngr

I chased a bird for 12 days last spring. Tried patterning him, getting ahead of him, late morning hunt. Nothing seemed to work; he`d hit the ground and disappear with the hens. On the 13th day however, luck was on my side. Got within 50 yds. of his roost tree, waited for him to pitch down, couple soft purrs, BOOM! done. 1 5/8" spurs. Kinda ambushed him but hey I worked hard for it!

!