OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

New To Me 835. Step Inside and Look

Started by BOSS HOGG LOU, December 08, 2012, 03:13:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BOSS HOGG LOU

Here it is, another Mossberg 835 on the forum. It's my first 835, I picked it up used and I'm ready to get it set up for turkey season. It has a 28" non-ported barrel and a RealTree Camo pattern. The barrel is long for my taste, but it shouldn't hinder me any. I plan on upgrading the sights, limbsaver, sling, and a premium choke tube. I already have a Pure Gold IC choke for it, but plan on a Turkey specific choke (after I trade or sell the one in my sig) in either Pure Gold, Indian Creek, Rhino, Kick's, etc. It has an old Butler Creek sling, which I will trash and upgrade with a Claw sling, a paracord sling, or something else nice. I have been trying to figure out which part # for the limbsaver (either 10200 or 10201?). The bead system currently on it won't cut it. So I'm looking for some front and rear fiber optic sights that will work for other birds as well (dove, pheasant). I did break the shotgun down completely and clean it. It had the looks of surface rust on the inside (neglect) and was bone dry. I will polish the barrel and piece up the parts well before the next turkey season. So here are some questions I have (I have used the search feature)

1. Suggestions on sights for turkey/dove/pheasant?
2. Claw Sling or paracord? Or a 3rd option maybe?
3. Which part# for the limbsaver?
4. Any tips to make the fore end quieter? Velcro?

Thanks in advance guys.
If Silence Is Golden, Why is Duct Tape Silver?

BOSS HOGG LOU

BOSS HOGG LOU

BOSS HOGG LOU

allaboutshooting

Congratulations. Those 835s are patterning machines. Usually all it takes is a good deep cleaning to restore the barrels even if there's some light surface rust. There's a lot of barrel there.

I use Velcro, as you've mentioned, on mine to make the forearm steadier and to quiet it.

I like the TRUGLO "Pro Series" sights for turkeys. You gun takes the TG944B. All steel, fiber optics and easy to install and remove if necessary or desired.

"The Claw" is a fine product.

It's best to draw a template of your current pad and compare it to the ones on the Limbsaver site to make sure you get the correct one for your gun. I had to get a grind to fit for my older 835.

Lots of good chokes out there for that gun.

Again, congratulations and I hope you enjoy your new gun.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

BOSS HOGG LOU

Quote from: allaboutshooting on December 08, 2012, 05:29:31 PM
Congratulations. Those 835s are patterning machines. Usually all it takes is a good deep cleaning to restore the barrels even if there's some light surface rust. There's a lot of barrel there.

I use Velcro, as you've mentioned, on mine to make the forearm steadier and to quiet it.

I like the TRUGLO "Pro Series" sights for turkeys. You gun takes the TG944B. All steel, fiber optics and easy to install and remove if necessary or desired.

"The Claw" is a fine product.

It's best to draw a template of your current pad and compare it to the ones on the Limbsaver site to make sure you get the correct one for your gun. I had to get a grind to fit for my older 835.

Lots of good chokes out there for that gun.

Again, congratulations and I hope you enjoy your new gun.

Thanks,
Clark

Thanks for the reply and the resources. I am going to use some velcro in the handguard. The bore actually looked nice and shiny. I will still give it some attention. Most of the surface rust was inside the receiver. I also like the looks of the those sights you recommended, they look solid. Thanks again

davisd9

My setup is the Mossy 835 with the 24" barrel, Simmons Pro-Diamond 4 x 32 mm scope, Star Dot .676 choke, and Hevi 13 2.25 oz 3.5" #6s:

Here are some patterns from this setup at a lasered 40 yards in a 10" circle:

I hunt a bunch of big ag fields and decided to put a scope on the gun. I really like it. Some people do some people don't. If you decide to go this route then I would strongly suggest ordering a tactical safety from brownells. With the normal safety you will have trouble working it because the scope gets in the way. You can work the safety, no problem putting it on fire, but trouble putting it back on safety. I did not like that so I found this safety and replaced it. Takes about 5 minutes to do the change out.

You will more than likely have trouble finding the Star Dot choke. It is not manufactured any more. Anyone on this site that has one I have bugged them to get it but they are holding on to it. The Indian Creek .675 does a great job in the 835 with Hevi 13 2.25 oz 3.5" 6s. If you go the 3.5" route than I would highly suggest getting a limbsaver for the gun, it makes a difference.

Whatever route you go just make sure you pattern your gun to know its capabilities. Do not get caught up in huge numbers in the 10" circle. If you have huge numbers at 40 yards than you will be shooting an orange size pattern at 15 yards. 100 hits in 10" at 40 is the unspoken rule for ethical patterns. I like mine 180 - 215 hits. My current set up averages 200 hits.

The numbers in my 835 goes up with a dirty barrel but the pattern loses it evenness which to me is very important. Big numbers with a big hole in the pattern can cause some heartache. If I remember anything else I will post it. If you have any questions feel free to ask. There are a number of very skilled turkey hunters on this board that will help you.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

KYStalker

Just put a new limbsaver recoil pad on my 835, it's model number 10201.  I'd go with the claw sling.  The truglo magnum gobble dot sight does great on my 835.  It doesn't need batteries and always works.  But I'm not sure how useful it would be for pheasant or dove hunting.
If you're not first, your last!!

BOSS HOGG LOU

Thanks davisd9 for the pics and info. That looks like a potent setup. I've read about the Star Dots while searching through previous posts in the forum. Those chokes are like trying to find a sasquatch with no beef jerkey. I have an Academy Sports about 5 minutes from my house. I guess a lot of people don't like the 3.5 shell around here, they have plenty of Hevi-Shot shells in. I did do my first upgrade to the 835 today. I got some barrel stickers from mackdieseldude and put them on today.

BOSS HOGG LOU

Quote from: KYStalker on December 10, 2012, 06:21:36 AM
Just put a new limbsaver recoil pad on my 835, it's model number 10201.  I'd go with the claw sling.  The truglo magnum gobble dot sight does great on my 835.  It doesn't need batteries and always works.  But I'm not sure how useful it would be for pheasant or dove hunting.

Your setup sounds exactly like what I want. I believe I will go with the claw sling.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Here's my 835 with a Star Dot choke and TurGlo Open dot sight.   

And here's how it can shoot with good Heiv-13 #7's at a tape measured 40yds. 

BOSS HOGG LOU

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on December 13, 2012, 09:49:39 PM
Here's my 835 with a Star Dot choke and TurGlo Open dot sight.   

And here's how it can shoot with good Heiv-13 #7's at a tape measured 40yds. 

Nice setup ILIKEHEVI-13. Thanks for sharing. That pattern looks devastating for anything in its way. How do you like that style of truglo optic?

ILIKEHEVI-13