turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Choke suggestions for new SXP winchester turkey gun 24''

Started by btmonnat, November 22, 2012, 07:25:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

btmonnat

I just purchased a Winchester Super X pump Turkey model with a 24'' barrel,rifle sights. My understanding is any of the invector plus chokes will fit but I think there are better after market chokes out there. I will be shooting #5 win. supremes in 3'' or 3 1/2''. I would like to get a tight pattern. I am leaning towards the indian creek .665 or the Primos Jellyhead.670. Any combo suggestions would be greatly appreciated. What works for you? Thanks

btmonnat

Well there seems to be very little information on this gun so after talking to the people at Indian Creek I decided to go with the .665 Diamond Strike. They seemed very confident that this would work well with my gun and the winchester #5 supremes. They also suggested sometime trying the hevi-shot which I do not know to much about as I am a first time turkey hunter.

btmonnat

Found some information on the hevi-shot. All I can say is ''overpriced'' I do not care how good it shoots. The lowest price I could find was about 5.30 per shell. Someone is getting rich off this stuff.

R AJ

Now that you have seen the price per shell, look up the price per pound of lead vs. hevi-shot or tungsten and you will see why it is so expensive.

Winchester lead likes the tighter chokes. I have one 655 for a Browning inv+ 12 ga and using Win Supreme HV #6 lead I get very nice patterns. If you are set on #5 shot the 665 may be a good choice.
What you see at 30 yards and 40 yards can be very different, especially using lead.

SumToy

I would look at opening the choke up some and going with the Federal FCW. :anim_25:
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

btmonnat