turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

"Old Mose" - Ohio

Started by flintlock, October 16, 2012, 02:28:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flintlock

The buck exploded from the thick tangle ripping vines and saplings out of his way as he crashed to freedom a mere 15 yards from me!  All I could tell is that he had some heavy bone and was big bodied, in the sudden rush that was over as fast as it happened.  It was my first bowhunt of the year back in late September and I was "mainly" just looking around.  I had found a very nice rub line and had decided to back-out of the area and return, when wind conditions were better.  But, I got sloppy on my way out and paid the price.

I had snuck back in a few times and hadn't seen anything except does and a small buck I named "muddy".  I had watched the little buck thrash in a pond and stick his rack in the mud, then rub the small saplings along the bank.   

Today the wind was abosolutely perfect and I had high hopes as I eased along the woodline and made my way into the wind.  As I neared where I had jumped him on that first day I slowed way down and watched in 5 min increments.  I opted to just sit on a 3legged stool to keep the noise down and besides it was SO THICK I had doubts of being able to get a good position from above anyway.  After about 20 minutes of setting up I heard the click-clack, click-clack of two bucks sparring.  I moved down the hill along the THICK edge very slowly and finally spied one of the bucks, it was "muddy".  He was about 35 yards away through a screen of brush, but I couldn't make out the second buck.

The day was absolutely beautiful, one of those days you are just thankful to God to be able to be in His creation.  I was jousted back to focus when I saw a flash of white from the brush as a bruiser's rack moved in the thicket only 35-40 yards from me.  It was game on!

I took to one knee and snapped some small underbrush out of the way, then gave him a grunt.  His rack went up as if he was listening, then droppped and here he came.  I immediately noticed how thick his bases were and the look of his big blocky head and neck.  Was this the stud I jumped previously?  I decided if the shot presented itself I was taking it on this old mature buck!

As he moved through the sea of small saplings and honeysuckle I drew when he got to 20 yards.  He continued on then stopped just before the hole I picked out.   30 seconds passed, then 1 minute, then 1.5 and I started to shake, so I pushed it down at an angle against my hip to steady it.  Just then he stared directly at me from 15 yards and I thought I was going to pass straight out.  I squinted through the headnet and maintained the hold and after 10 seconds he took a few steps and  moved forward a few feet.  A softball sized hole opened up over his vitals and I took the shot,  THWACK!

He wheeled and was gone in a flash and I prayed that he would not suffer and it would be a short recovery.  I started to track and could smell him.  Several times the blood was thin, but I tracked by smell and walked the 60 yards to him where he had crashed into some grape vines and expired. 

The old monarch's life had come to an end and it was bittersweet in a way.  I named him Old Mose and thanked God for this special day and for this old buck and the many meals I would have from him and the chance to take him from the ground where he lived.

Good luck if you are out and about.
Wess
If you must smoke, please use BLACKPOWDER!

captin_hook

Great story. That's a heck of a buck! Congrats :icon_thumright:

coyotetrpr

Dang fine buck. Nice that he is truly appriceated. :icon_thumright:
Jakes are like scotch. They are not worth a darn until they age.

TrackeySauresRex

"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

TRKYHTR

Congrats on a fine Buck Wess.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

GobbleNut

Great story Wess,...congrats on a fine buck!

Hognutz

Congrats on a real nice buck, Wess. Nice story, as well. Mike
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

barry

As my friend would say "He's growed up"
Nice buck, congrats!!!

tomstopper

Congrats on a beautiful buck and a great read.

vaturkey

What a great story Wess ! Congrats on an awesome buck !    :icon_thumright:

vaturkey   :newmascot:
Vaturkey

headbanger

Great story and a stud of an old warhorse. Congrats :happy0064:

redarrow

Great story Wes.Awesome buck.

Shotgun

MarkJM

great buck and very interesting read!
MuellerCustomCalls