turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

chadron nebraska

Started by hootn, October 04, 2012, 12:28:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hootn

ok folks i just got back from the trip. 12 days, 5551 miles and a case of food poising from a taco johns in Gillette, wy. fun 2days back home from that....
ok chadron, will be a mess to hunt or the area that burnt last month. for those familiar with the area the places from the state park north to chadron and to the west of 385 will be just like the area to the east of 385 that burnt in 06. reminds me of the same thing... my little honey hole is ruined however just to the west of my honey hole you have a lot of trees that did not die and alot of them made it but in that area will be hit and miss...
will post pics in a few days when i wind down some...

scott

merocustomcalls

That's tough news.  I hunted there two years ago and had a great time.  I planned on going back there someday.  Hopefully the damage isn't too severe.

tomstopper

Wingbone

I know some of the local hunters welcome the fires because it supposedly makes the hunting better, but I just didn't see it when I was there. It may help with Elk and Deer, but I didn't find any turkeys in the burned areas. Saw a couple hens in the burn, and they may like it for nesting, but we didn't kill any toms in those areas. Most of the area I hunted was east of the highway, so maybe it won't hurt me as much.
In Hoc Signo Vinces

tomstopper

Quote from: Wingbone on October 04, 2012, 11:10:16 AM
I know some of the local hunters welcome the fires because it supposedly makes the hunting better, but I just didn't see it when I was there. It may help with Elk and Deer, but I didn't find any turkeys in the burned areas. Saw a couple hens in the burn, and they may like it for nesting, but we didn't kill any toms in those areas. Most of the area I hunted was east of the highway, so maybe it won't hurt me as much.
Alot of the reason why it is supposed to be better is that during the spring, new grasses and vegetation (more food) are thought to be more plentiful due to the nutrients from the burn and the clearing of the overhead foilage. I would suspect that in April/May you might see this happen. Atleast this is what I would hope for.