OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Scouting/Habitat for Rios

Started by The Lung, April 18, 2024, 04:37:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Lung

When scouting public land for Rios what are the three main things you look for? I was told when I first started hunting turkeys that Rios like to roost near water or have a water source reasonably close. For the most part, I've found this to be true. So, mainly I look for good roost trees and water sources when scouting. And specifically roost trees without a ton of cedars underneath or too brushy of an understory. For the third thing, I'm really not sure. Places burned several months prior may be it.

What do you guys say? And if not the above what 3 features or habitat do you look for on public land for Rio Grande turkeys?

"Dear Lord, may our will be pure and our aim be true. Amen"

novashooter

I don't claim to be the best turkey hunter ever, but looking for ideal habitat is rarely an issue in the western USA. I don't hunt far south where most people hunt Rios. At least here in SD, for our supposed Rios, and it's the same with the Merriams and mostly true with the Easterns as well. If you find good, doesn't have to be great, turkey habitat, you found turkeys, because for miles, and miles around that is poor habitat. I can only assume that is a similar case for the southern plains where most Rios are hunted. It's a whole different mindset than hunting easterns in the bit woods, but turkeys are still turkeys.

By good habitat, I mean significant enough trees to shade the ground. Some places out here can be so barren, a draw with a dried up creek not 50 yards wide can be the only real trees around for a mile and it will sometimes hold turkeys. You generally will not find turkeys in shelter belts or anywhere grass grows tall. If you can see wooded draws on google maps without zooming in much, you've found turkeys for sure.

WV Flopper

A place to roost.
A place to drink.
A place to eat.

NCL

Where I hunt Rio's I look for Digger Pines because that seems to be there very favorite roost tree,

Tail Feathers

In N. Texas and W. Oklahoma, the trees and the birds tend to be found on and along the creek bottoms.
I've hunted central Texas and the terrain was different and the seemed to be about everywhere there.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!