OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Handloading Section

Started by BandedSpur, July 09, 2012, 09:24:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BandedSpur

O.K. Where'd the Handloading section go this time?

Old Gobbler

Lawyer says no ..., I was told that to keep operating it , I might as well crash my car into a bus full of trial lawyers -  its a invitation for me to get sued if they blow them selves up - I was also told a jury of 12 could convict a Ham sandwich of gross negligence - Ive seen some real crazy stuff that some folks have tried plus been informed of a few thing sby some members between my attorney , and people selling homemade shells , its just not worth it - My families future is more important

the forum will revert back to its original form , minus no load formulas or particulars ---

not pointed at you , but it would be proper to mention publicly that....

I am also somewhat disgusted at some immature people who have been utilizing the area to promote 80-110 yard shots and bragging about it - we put our foot down on it , and they have dug their heels in on it , resorting to playing games , running smack talk about me and my staff and this site - that game is over too , we are nice helpful people  and we do not deserve to be annoyed in this manner   and be able to  visit our own site without being distracted by it -
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

timbrhuntr

Thats too bad but seems to be the way this site is going.  :TrainWreck1:

Old Gobbler

Quote from: timbrhuntr on July 09, 2012, 09:56:21 PM
Thats too bad but seems to be the way this site is going.  :TrainWreck1:
I am not sure what you mean by that but if you dont care about me putting my family above you , just let me know .....

let me inform you that in some states you can loose the the roof over your head , cause your home owners policy doenst cover being sued for something like this -

Im not being placed at risk cause some people are infatuated with shooting a gobbler at 100 yards - end of story --SK   

-Shannon

coyotetrpr

Worst part about this is that you could be sued because someone on this site tried something that they read. Common sense should play in to the equasion. Otherwise it is just thinning the herd. Sorry it had to be this way, but I understand and would do the same thing.
Jakes are like scotch. They are not worth a darn until they age.

HARDCORE

Quote from: coyotetrpr on July 09, 2012, 11:03:59 PM
Sorry it had to be this way, but I understand and would do the same thing.

I have to agree.....and with your sig line as well!!            "Jakes are like scotch. They are not worth a darn until they age"

HC

chatterbox

I for one, support Shannon and the Mods for the fine work they do here. It is a tough job, and they do it well.
Shannon says it's gone, and that's the way it is, and I for one, don't blame him. It only takes one knucklehead for him to loose everything. Nothing is worth that.
Use a call, call them into acceptable killing range, and enjoy the sport for what it is. A close range game between you and a very worthy adversary! If he stays out of range, figure out a way to get him in range.
Thank you Shannon for having a great site for all of us turkey fanatics to enjoy, and for the mods for keeping it friendly!

Mike

Spring Creek Calls

I did enjoy reading in this portion of the site, but do understand removing it. It would be hard to keep it simple and safe.

:smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

Hayudog

Sorry to see it have to go, but I understand. 

SumToy

I never had looked at it from the legal side. I just look at the safety side of it.  I know you working with a bomb and some of the folks change or load them wrong it could go bad.  I have seen it.  Some one call they shoot ________ load I think ok need this.  It not work then you find they have changed something in the load. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

bird

I don't blame Shannon at all in getting rid of the section and the members who absolutely "refused" to abide by his wishes of keeping the talk of long range turkey shooting off of the site.  One thing these people have to remember is that this site is a privately owned site and when someone wants to run their own agenda bucking the site rules and ignoring multiple requests by the admin to stop well then they will just end up on the outside looking in. It also amuses me how they then run to other sites claiming how they were done wrong by the site admin when in reality it wasn't the site admin that done them wrong but their own actions of ignorance and stupidity that placed them where they now are.

This is a turkey hunting site where we encourage the use of age old hunting techniques to obtain everyone's goal of not only tagging a Tom but also to help everyone enjoy an exciting, safe and memorable experinace with mother nature and the great outdoors. Scouting techniques along with how to use a turkey call is what it's all about. Of course there has been advancements in technology such as hunting blinds and turkey decoys which some people use and some choose not to use but the whole goal of these two is to draw the bird in for an up close experinace with such a beautiful bird. But to develop a firearm and a ammunition load to take long distance shots of 75, 90 and even 100+ yards is not just lazy, stupid even unethical but it is just plain dangerous for a variety of reasons let alone the fact that these idiots are wounding birds that deserve much respect. I don't care who you are or what type of load you have. The odds of wounding a bird drastically increases with distance. So if these individuals want to load up their questionable and possibly toxic pixey dust (questionable radiation levels) so they can take risky and unethical long distance shots at a bird that deserves much more respect than that, well then they can go ahead and talk about it somewhere else because that kind of talk and behavior is not welcomed here on OG.

Old Gobbler

There have been so many issues in that former area that I could write book about - I wold just about jump out of my skin when I was informed people were cutting open shells and poring in another material and sealing it up - The were way to many people loading up shells on the wrong manner scores of clueless folks with next to zero reloading experence just slapping shells together like this - therevare so many accounts of this - it was scarry -I don't know how there hasn't been a incident

We are sick and tired of few nut jobs trying to ram down a 100 shot aggenda on the rest of us - they dug thier heels on this , they are expert at the game of  turning any questions into the matter and diverting to any other issue , the fact remains they like shooting gobblers at 100 yards and they want the rest of the world( peer group) to accept them as being a bonafide turkey hunter- I can report to that when any person admits to engaging in the activity of shooting a gobbler or taking up for such aperson .... at these ranges, they have robbed them selves of any credibility what so ever - they can keep blabbing their stupid lips it all sounds like this blah blah 100 blah blah I'm a idiot blah blah blah

bring in to the issue that if someone gets hurt while doing this on my site OG I can be held liable you can see why the plug got pulled  

I have washed my hands of the issue  

-Shannon

honker22

Thanks for once having the section... I now have safe loads that will far outperform anything you can buy off the shelf.  It was never about stupid distances, it was about shooting the best I can at a turkeys face... BTW, my longest shot (since hanloading) has been 32 yards. 

Do what you gotta do, it's your site and your rules.  I will miss it though.

People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.

timbrhuntr

I made that comment because thats how I feel about this site. I lurked here when it first started and then finally joined when it seemed like a good site to learn about turkeys. I originally joined because I was looking to find a custom call. I found a good group of knowledgeable people here. Sure there was debate but it always seemed civil and you learned from it. Then there was this slow turn to where certain bullies began to run the site. If you had a different opinion or view and posted it you got shot down now you are openly called an idiot. I believe you when you say you are dead against long shots on turkeys okay I get it. I however don't think you are dropping the handloading section because of being sued. You had very knowledgeable people on here and when a bad load or practice was suggested they were all over it. However these same people seemed to have strong opinions on other things and one of those was developing loads that can shoot and kill at a long range. So they got banned now you have lost the experts in that forum. (I must admit I think you are making a wise choice in dropping that section for that reason alone.) I am one of the TURKEY hunters on this forum that developed a great load from these guys and love it. Sure I can shoot at long distance but that isn't why I did it. I make up my own arrows, decoys, and even am know making my own mounts and hope to also make some of my own calls next. But is seems that the only thing that I am learning from this site now is that I am not a turkey hunter but an idiot that can't use a call. I have basically stopped posting here now so if you decide to ban me for this expession of my opinion on this matter well what can I say its just too hard to just sit back and silently watch it anymore.

gophert

I personally don't feel that the handload section is single-handedly responsible for the decline of the sport of turkey hunting.  I also don't feel that they are the reason people feel like they can successfully kill a turkey over 40 yards either. 

Keep in mind....one of the main companies worshiped on this site has had more influence on actually shooting at a turkey over 40 yards than any of us ever dreamed of having.  75+ yards...If Hevi says I can with a load of STORE PURCHASED ammo than I guess I can.  I think you get my point.