OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

First Topwater Musky! Plop, Plop, Plop...BAM!!

Started by longbeard11, June 29, 2012, 08:50:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

longbeard11

Well last night after work i headed home, told my girlfriend i wanted to try a new spot later if i got all the work done in time, she said "not without me you arent" lol. So i hurried home and got started on the weedeating and cleaning out our chicken coops. She got home and i got done just in time, i was tired and not really caring if we went then or not, but she said "come on get your pole lets go". Usually when i dont feel like going and im not really into it too much is when its the best haha.

So we headed down the road just below her house to a new spot i had been wanting to check out. Its a big deep pool and the rest of the creek is very shallow, only place the fish can be right now. Find the deep pockets, find the fish. I casted and casted, nothing. Kayla and her friend and her friends little girl were down there just casting for bass or whatever would bite, no luck. Light was fading fast and we were about to rap it up.

I made another big long cast with my top raider and was bringing it back to me, "plop, plop, plop....BAM!"  I had me head turned looking at Kayla when he hammered it, I said "There he is!" Set the hook, he was head shaking violently but i had him hooked real good. Knew it was a big fish cause all i could see was his head and it was wide. I told Kayla, "run right there to the truck quick and get the net." She came back and i handed her the pole so i could slide down the steep bank and net him up. She did a great job holding onto him while he head shook, i scooped him up. We were all so thrilled, it was just awesome! We did a really quick rough measurment so i could get him back in the water, rough measurement said 38 inches, i think he was probably closer to 40 but oh well. My first top water musky and had my girl there with me again, just doesnt get any better than that! Hope you all enjoyed the read.

redarrow

longbeard11

this one isnt my first musky, i fish for them constantly and catch quite a few. But this one was my first one on a top water bait. Doesnt get much better than the top water strike! Thanks man.

vaturkey

Congrats ! Nice Musky ! Cute Girlfriend Too !  :icon_thumright:
Vaturkey

longbeard11

Thanks! yeah shes the best, no doubt about it. Not our best picture after working all evening but it will do haha

longspur

Deputy 14

Not much like watching a musky blow up on a topwater.  Congrats on the fish.

GSLAM95

Congrats and thanks for sharing the photo and story...

Apologizing:  does not always mean you are wrong and the other person is right. 
It just means that you value your relationship more than your ego.

longbeard11

Hognutz

Congrats on the nice fish. I see that you used a Top Raider. I went to high school with Joe Bucher, and grade school and high school with his wife..  Mike
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

Frankinthelaurels

flintlock

If you must smoke, please use BLACKPOWDER!

Muskie03

Muskie03 Taught Me A Lesson In 2011

If it eats I can catch it, if it bleeds I can kill it.

tomstopper

longbeard11

Quote from: Frankinthelaurels on June 29, 2012, 04:30:47 PM
Great job, going to get it mounted?
no, im not getting it mounted, the fish was released and swam off to fight another day. Im strictly catch and release, especially since they are native fish here

I am from West Virginia.