turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

4 Team College Football Playoff

Started by barry, June 28, 2012, 05:05:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barry

This new 4 team playoff for college football...is this just another way to determine who's the best in the SEC?
ROLL TIDE!

Tail Feathers

Actually it's the way they will determine who is best in the USA. :goofball:

SEC is on a championship roll, no doubt.  I also recall Nebraska having a couple of those as well as the PAC 10.  Carefull lest your conference pride bite you in the arse because history shows it will undoubtedly do so someday. :z-dizzy:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

BC

I like it because it's something new and never seen before in college football.

The only real thing they have accomplished though is now instead of the #3 team whining like a puppy, you will have the #5 team doing it.

Skeeterbait

So the're going to pick 4 teams by committee.  Who picks the committee and what are their biases?  Who serves on the committee and what are their biases?  What is the selection criteria to be used?  Will strength of schedule be factored in?  Can a strong one loss team from a strong conference trump a weaker team from a weaker conference with no losses?  Will the strongest teams be chosen or just conference winners?  How are teams going to know where they stand throughout the season unless this committee puts out a weekly ranking?

I don't see this being any better than what we have now.  Number 5 team will whine just as bad as number three team now.

captin_hook

I couldn't have said it better skeeter

Devastator

pick the top 8 and settle it.........

magicman

This is a stepping stone to a larger play off. It's still better to have the 2, or 3 loss #5 team whine than the undefeated, or 1 loss #3.

barry

Quote from: Tail Feathers on June 28, 2012, 05:35:32 PM
Actually it's the way they will determine who is best in the USA. :goofball:

SEC is on a championship roll, no doubt.  I also recall Nebraska having a couple of those as well as the PAC 10.  Carefull lest your conference pride bite you in the arse because history shows it will undoubtedly do so someday. :z-dizzy:

I'm not a fair weather fan...Been a Tide fan since Bear Bryant was there so I've been thru "thick and thin"
Who's your team? You sound like a VA Tech fan

turkey slayer

Only non SEC team with a semi good chance to win it this year is usc, but they wont stand against bama or LSU. Geaux tigers

Tail Feathers

I'm not a fair weather fan...Been a Tide fan since Bear Bryant was there so I've been thru "thick and thin"
Who's your team? You sound like a VA Tech fan

Texas A&M.  Probably will be the new SEC whipping boys but they're the one I pull for.
But I'll never become an SEC homer! :toothy9:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

zeke632

I agree with Skeeterbait, in that there are a lot of questions as to how the top teams will be picked.  I think its a step in the right direction. Time will tell, but I'll bet we go down this road for 8 or 10 yrs, with lots of complaining by the "experts" at espn and the teams who get left out. Then another plan or system will come along.

BOOMER SOONER

Skeeterbait

There is a tactical advantage in the theory of how most SEC teams are setup compared to many teams in other conferences.  Southern football theory is to develop powerful ground game domination on both sides of the ball and pass only enough to keep the other team on their heels.  Many other conferences live and die by air and concentrate their defense on the air game.  It is a bit like a battle between a ram sheep and a billy goat.  They both run up at each other, the billy rears up to fight and the ram stays low and charges through.  The ram wins charge after charge till the goat quits.  What does Saban constantly tell his players?  "Make his A$$ quit!"

zeke632

Quote from: JohnDoe on July 06, 2012, 12:15:08 AM
SEC Homer. Thats a good one. Say what you will. SEC has earned all they have won. Send the best you have from anywhere and let them go. SEC will take on all comers with no excuses.

Been an OU fan for 40yrs. If Stoops doesn't learn to run the ball he will be #2 forever. So will everyone else.

"YOU CANT WIN IT ALL, IF YOU CANT RUN THAT BALL"
Quote from: Skeeterbait on July 06, 2012, 08:41:37 AM
There is a tactical advantage in the theory of how most SEC teams are setup compared to many teams in other conferences.  Southern football theory is to develop powerful ground game domination on both sides of the ball and pass only enough to keep the other team on their heels.  Many other conferences live and die by air and concentrate their defense on the air game.  It is a bit like a battle between a ram sheep and a billy goat.  They both run up at each other, the billy rears up to fight and the ram stays low and charges through.  The ram wins charge after charge till the goat quits.  What does Saban constantly tell his players?  "Make his A$$ quit!"

Well said!     

Skeeterbait

Quote from: Tail Feathers on July 05, 2012, 09:26:15 PM
Texas A&M.  Probably will be the new SEC whipping boys but they're the one I pull for.

I believe you will acclimate to the SEC and become part of the tradition.  I think A&M is a good fit for the SEC.  I believe your recruiting will pick up and your team structure will change to fit the SEC playing model.  Getting you out from under the shadow of Texas will be beneficial and you will draw big strong kids who want to play in the SEC. Your team will grow to be stronger.  Welcome to the SEC.

CASH

Quote from: Tail Feathers on July 05, 2012, 09:26:15 PM

Nah, we have Vanderbilt for that.  :toothy9:
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.