turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Choke for 870 and XRHD #6

Started by duckaholic25, June 17, 2012, 06:03:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

duckaholic25

Dad just got a shur shot super mag and we looking for some good chokes shooting XRHD 6s.

captin_hook

Did you try the HD choke that came with it?? It worked great for me .

gatrkyhntr70

.660 for the 3.5" and .655 for the 3" shells. Loys of good chokes, Indian Creek,Kicks,pure gold,jellyhead.
<- <- <= <- <- <- <-

allaboutshooting

Quote from: duckaholic25 on June 17, 2012, 06:03:00 PM
Dad just got a shur shot super mag and we looking for some good chokes shooting XRHD 6s.

That's a very versatile gun and there are a variety of chokes that will work well with it. You'll have many recommendations I'm sure. The WXRHD shells normally, all things being equal, like chokes with pretty tight exit diameters but that also depends on the internal geometry of the choke of course. One choke that has always worked well that shell is the Wright's #3 with a long parallel and an e.d. of .650. A real sleeper is also the Hevi-13 turkey choke. It has internal rings that slow the wad and an e.d. of .662, a little more open that the Wright's but with pretty much the same patterning ability.

One of the most productive things that your Dad can do to that new gun is of course to "deep clean" the bore and to pull the fire control unit to remove the preservative/grease/oil that may be really packed in there. Sometimes it's just the preservative but unless it's removed, the unit just won't function as well as it can.

Again, great gun and good luck to your Dad with it.

Thanks,
Clark

P.S. As"Captin_hook" stated earlier, I'd try the HD choke that should have come with that gun before investing in any new choke tube. It may be all that he'll need.
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

ohiostrutter

My 870 spsnturkey shoots lights out with the factory choke I almost didn't even try it but I did and glad I did