OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

I got a question?

Started by Flydown, June 08, 2012, 05:24:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RutnNStrutn

That's an easy one.
1000 private acres where I consistently killed turkeys, or 100,000 public acres where I consistently killed turkeys.
All things considered, my success rate would be the same. So why pay for private land access for 1000 acres when you can roam 100,000 public acres for next to nothing? Now if the success rate was different, then I'd opt for the place with the better success, regardless of it was the private land or public.

flintlock

If you kill one every day it is easy no matter where you hunt.  Sometimes it is, nothing wrong w/that.   Time to go more primitive and make it more challenging in my opinion.
If you must smoke, please use BLACKPOWDER!

GobbleNut

"If you kill one every day it is easy no matter where you hunt."

I agree completely with that assessment.  If you can kill a bird every day where ever you hunt, you are in for a reality check if and when you hunt places that are truly a challenge.  Hunting ability alone does not allow anyone to kill a bird every day anywhere, either public or private, unless there are lots of turkeys and those turkeys are the morons of the turkey world

Not only that, but if you have 1000 acres where you can kill 47 birds, or even a third of that, every year and not experience a real impact in the hunting quality, you are hunting in a turkey factory.  Anybody that has had only that kind of situation has not had the pleasure of hunting turkeys in "real world" conditions.

Flydown

Thank you guys for all the great responces and I agree that having a lease of land has its advantages,no doubt! We do a lot of work all year long preparing our place for hunting. We also spend a lot of time all year long walking our WMA'S and National Forest lands around here. What we have learned about our public lands is you have to be willing to walk that extra mile that most around here will not do and we have been very succesfull on public land as well as our lease. Turkey hunting is what you put into it and prepare for. We do our homework all year, every year and are rewarded for the blood and sweat we put into the passion we both share in turkey hunting. We get our butts kicked by turkeys a lot, but we also do our share of kicking theirs on public or private land. Again,thank you for the great responces guys! I hope you all have a great summer!  :icon_thumright:

turkey slayer

Quote from: AngryBird on June 08, 2012, 06:53:24 PM
1,000 plus acres of private or public land would give me a woody!
:agreed: the new "green pill"

HARDCORE

Quote from: TRKYHTR on June 08, 2012, 06:02:29 PM
if you hunt an area a lot you get to know the land like the back of your hand. You know different trees to use or dips in the ground cover or obstacles and even know where the turkeys are going and such. But you could also get that if you hunted the same piece of public land every day.

TRKYHTR

Joe, this is by far, in my opinion, THE most important key to success in killing turkeys consistently day after day, year after year.

Go often, very often, the more you go the more you learn, the more you learn the more you're gonna kill......I guarantee it.

And for those who get tired of hunting the same tract over and over, well, all of those days of going and learning "turkey", apply to a days hunt elsewhere as well, beit public or private.

HC