News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

U.S. Slam: Who is Chasing It?

Started by YELPA, June 03, 2012, 10:22:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cove

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on June 07, 2012, 03:08:08 PM
I have a goal of killing a bird in all of the lower 48 states. I don't have much interest in going to Hawaii to hunt a bird that was introduced and is not natural. If I were to spend that kind of money, I'd go for a Goulds instead.
I have already achieved my Grand Slam, and have killed birds in Florida, S. Carolina, W. Virginia, Ohio, Michigan, Oklahoma and Nebraska. I have unsuccessfully hunted Alabama and Georgia.
Only 41 states left to go. ;D But, considering that I am 51, and will be 52 by the time next spring season rolls around, I'm gonna have to get my fanny in gear if I want to achieve this goal. :-\  Guess I know what I'll be doing each spring when I retire. :fud: :OGani: :lol:

Some of the lower 48 house bird populations that didnt exist before reintroduction? Not sure what your meaning by 'not natural' . . . just saying. At least this it my understanding, I may be wrong.

I am actively chasing the US Slam, started pursuing it intentionally 3 years ago after completing a single season slam and scratching my head and wondering where to go from here. I figured this one would take a while. LoL

I have 19 states now, I aim to get 4 new states per year. I got my 4 this year, got 7 last year and I cant remember farther than that. . . . too many early wake ups.

RutnNStrutn

Cove, I researched it. Hawaii didn't have any native turkeys, and Rios were imported. There were some feral turkeys on the islands from imported birds from Chile. But the main stock of Hawaiian turkeys came from 400 Rios imported from Texas in the early 60's.
My lack of interest in hunting them is partially because they aren't native to the islands. But also because a Hawaii trip is expensive, even if you aren't hunting turkeys. Plus, growing up in Florida, and having lived in the Florida Keys for a couple of years, I'm not really interested in the tropics any more. I'd rather hunt in terrain I've never hunted before, and if I was going to spend that kind of money, I'd go to Mexico for a Goulds.
Hope that explains it, if not, then, well, its just how I feel. :lol:
Looks like you are off to a good start on your US Slam, and you're a lot younger than me, so you'll probably get it. :icon_thumright: