turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Toughest freshwater fish in USA?

Started by jakebird, June 01, 2012, 01:24:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakebird

I've been reading alot of polls and threads on this topic. What, in your opinion is the strongest fighting, freshwater fish in the country? Quite a diversity of opinions out there. I'm torn between a few. For brute strength of pull, I vote flathead catfish. For tackle busting, drag screaming runs, I vote hybrids and stripers. For drag burning and acrobatics, I say steelhead. I haven't fished for salmon but quite a few folks vote for them, too. Also quite a few fans of the bluegill and the smallmouth bass, on a pound for pound basis. Let's hear your votes, no right or wrong opinions!
That ol' tom's already dead. He just don't know it yet .... The hard part is convincing him.

Are you REALLY working that gobbler, or is HE working YOU?

wisconsinteacher

Open water pound for pound the small mouth wins.  Ice fishing, the bluegill wins pound for pound.  These are the two I pick but they are all fun to catch and fight. 

Skeeterbait

meanest fish in the river is a bowfin... also the biggest dissapointment when you get it to the boat.

vaturkey

This big boy had my arm aching. 20 min fight on ultralite tackle & 6 lb. test.

33lb. 12oz. Carp  46" Long

My neighbor said he sure was good eatin !    :icon_thumright:
Vaturkey

jakebird

Wow, quite a carp! I imagine that was a fight of epic proportions on an ulttralight! Forgot to mention the carp, but they have got to belong on the short list, for sure. :)
That ol' tom's already dead. He just don't know it yet .... The hard part is convincing him.

Are you REALLY working that gobbler, or is HE working YOU?

Deputy 14

Pound for pound a smallmouth. If they grew any bigger it would be dangerous to swim.  :TooFunny:

Sully53

The hardest fish to land, but the most fun to hook-up would have to be King or Coho Salmon, we fish for them every fall on the Salmon River in up-state New York.

longbeard11

I-55Bandit

Smallmouth Bass  :z-winnersmiley: Try em in shallow creek water  :drool:

Crappiepro

I say smallmouth too! I've fished the creeks around my county here in Indiana and they go crazy in the swallows of creek on ultralite rigs LOL.

wildturkey6

Bring yer ultra light tackle to South Florida and try one of these Peacock Bass they will tear yer tackle up.

stone road turkey calls

bluegill, if they grew to 10 pounds they would pull you in and eat you.
Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

catdaddy

Quote from: stone road turkey calls on June 02, 2012, 07:41:43 AM
bluegill, if they grew to 10 pounds they would pull you in and eat you.

I agree!! If they were as big as a bass--you never would reel um in.

bird

Pound for pound the toughest, meanest, nastiest fresh water fish has to be a dogfish!

Timberland Taxidermy

I've caught nearly every fish mentioned here and for me the toughest wasn't listed. I would have to vote for the wiper. (Hybrid striped bass) Even using heavy line they will just about de-spool you if you hook a good one.