OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Boykin Spaniel

Started by MAKEemQUIVER, May 24, 2012, 10:55:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MAKEemQUIVER

I know that people use these dogs to hunt turkeys in the fall so thought that I might find someone on here that might help me locate one of these dogs. I seen my first one in person today and feel in love lol. Probably just going to be a pet if I do get one, thanks for the help.
Go Big Blue!!!!!!

Old Gobbler

They are nice dogs , I wanted one for years for waterfowl hunting , but they are just too small for florida , the gators will get them

They are darn nice dogs though 
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

jrseale82

I have a good friend that gets his from a kennel in Walterboro SC I think.  I know they are very well bred.  I will find out the name if you are interested.

savduck

They are great little dogs for hunting. They are wide open and can be a little high strung at times, but are very sweet loving dedicated dogs. You can find them all over SC and GA. One of the most decorated field trial Boykins is owned by a guy right here in Savannah. He breeds that dog with some dogs owned by a kennel in Sylvania, GA. Can't remember it's name. I've hunted with a few pups from that kennel and they have all been great dogs.

Type in "Boykin kennels, South Carolina" into goggle.
Georgia Boy

jrseale82

savduck i just happen to be in savannah for the weekend.  small world.

jshively

I have an 11 week old boykin (picked him up three weeks ago).  He has been great.  I have had German Short Hairs previously and loved them.  But this dog is outstandind - super intelligent and loves turkeys.  The smaller package is a plus for me as well.  When I was looking for a breeder - ne sure that the parents have checked out ok with the hip, knee, and eyes.  This breed can have problems with that.  I really liked Brandywine Kennels, Just Ducky but chose to go with a more local breeder of Boulder Brook Kennel in Virginia.  He specializes in a turkey dog versus the upland or waterfowl dog.  But these dogs can really do it all - it is more up to what you want to do.

savduck

Quote from: jrseale82 on May 26, 2012, 12:09:52 AM
savduck i just happen to be in savannah for the weekend.  small world.

Very cool. You can check out the Boykin spaniel society, they should show up coming litters on their website. Chief is the male here in Savannah, Mule is another famous Boykin. Good luck in your search
Georgia Boy

gobblingghost

My family has had boykins for years. They are great dogs for the family and feild.  I have hunted in just about every condition and they will work hard to to please. As far as to small for Fl, I don't know of a dog that can take on gators.