turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Tail Fans

Started by TauntoHawk, May 23, 2012, 05:42:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VanHelden Game Calls

So whats this project?  I am low at the moment because I sent out 5 fans last year to a gal that paints on them.  Of course I have not heard from her since :angry9:

But am interested in your project, quills only have me intrigued.

stinkpickle

I'm not sure how much fishing I'll need to do to get to the coverts, but I should be able to easily measure the others from the backside.

vaturkey

Quote from: 2ounce6s on May 24, 2012, 04:29:49 PM
Quote from: stinkpickle on May 24, 2012, 03:28:02 PM
I'm not sure how much fishing I'll need to do to get to the coverts, but I should be able to easily measure the others from the backside.
That's what she said!

:TooFunny: :TooFunny:
Vaturkey

stinkpickle

Quote from: 2ounce6s on May 24, 2012, 04:29:49 PM
Quote from: stinkpickle on May 24, 2012, 03:28:02 PM
That's what she said!

:z-winnersmiley:

And the fishing is good!   :D

pcgobbler

I don't save all of them, but I keep a few for decoy fans.  Dry them out good, then put JB quickie weld between the feathers, this makes a super hard base that keep the feathers together.  The quickie weld is a nice dark brown so there is no need to paint it also.  This is not regular jb weld, the only place I have been able to find it is Advance Auto.  A good friend and taxidermist turned me on to it.  It works great. 

slawman

I'm only getting ready to hang my 12th one but  eventually i'm going to run out of room, but until then i'm hangin every one of 'em

slawman

goblr77

I don't save mine anymore. I mounted the tail fans on my first couple birds but now just do it on really good birds.

VGJ5

I just started keeping some full fans this year.  I've kept feathers over the past few years because my mom likes to paint on them, and I give a bunch to my friend that dresses up as Joe Cain for Mobile Mardi Gras.  Hell, I just started preserving the spurs and beards in the last 3 years, or so.  My blood boils when I think of all the beards and spurs that rotted in a grabage bag, were thrown away by my mom, etc. over the years.  I plan on keeping and preserving all my beards, spurs, and fans/feathers now.  I did this one (my first) for my mom this year and hope to more:
"Turkey hunting is a series of instant tactical decisions that are invariably irreversible."
- Colonel Tom Kelly