turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mom left us a present in the back yard last night

Started by yelpy, May 22, 2012, 11:36:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yelpy

Here is a pick of the suprize in the back yard this morning. I could not believe it. Mom was here last night and we heard a fawn that sounded like it was in distess when my wife and I were sitting on the deck. She just happened to leave it behind. I just thank god my dog didn't find it before my wife did.

Wingbone

I'm surprised she left the little booger behind like that. When I worked at a state park in college, we raised three fawns that had been abandoned or orphaned. They are the funniest thing to watch when you can spend day in and day out with them.
In Hoc Signo Vinces

redarrow

Did she come back for it ? That is beautiful Man. Great pic.

Grunt-N-Gobble

Mom will probably come back for her fawn.  They will hide them and come back.

The fawn looks like it's been licked clean.

mikejd

TnTurk

barry

Good thing they're not that cute during hunting season or I would never shoot one

yelpy

Quote from: redarrow on May 22, 2012, 12:36:43 PM
Did she come back for it ? That is beautiful Man. Great pic.

Had to run out this afternoon and when we returned the fawn was gone. I am sure it didn't venture to far. Probably just moved to the briers for cover from the rain.

HogBiologist

I will tell yall that 99% of abandoned fawns are NOT abandoned.
Certified Wildlife Biologist

yelpy

Quote from: LaBiologist on May 23, 2012, 10:15:24 AM
I will tell yall that 99% of abandoned fawns are NOT abandoned.

My wife was in a pannac thinking it was abandoned.

I have seen where another mom will adopt.

HogBiologist

It is natural for the doe to drop the fawn and stay away from it.  The fawn has a small scent trail while the mom has a large oder about her.  By staying away from the fawn, she reduces the chance that a predator will locate the fawn.  It is in the fawns survival instincts to remain motionless when a percieved predator is near.  This is why people can walk up to a fawn and pick it up without it running away.  I wish people would understand that picking up a fawn is the worst thing for the fawn.  You would not believe how many I have to euthanize every year because some "concerned" citizen picked up an "Abandoned" fawn.
Certified Wildlife Biologist

turkey slayer

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

tomstopper

zhlhunter

A friend of mine had a fawn for a while. the mother got hit by a car he was like a dog would follow u around everywhere. He was very playful and lots of energy. The little guy ended up going to a deer farm near my friends home.