Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How many inches from the top of head to bottom of wattles?

Started by FloppinTom, May 20, 2012, 09:13:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FloppinTom

Can some you guys measure your gobblers from the top of head to bottom of wattles? Measure as if he were standing straight up looking not strutting. I have the new nikon turkey scope that is supposed to let you know if the birds inside of 40 yards. I just wanted to check it against some measurements before I rely on it.   I let a bird walk in VA this year because I thought he was too far turns out he was right on the 40 yard line uphill from me. Looking uphill he just looked farther so I let him walk. The nitro 4x5x7s im shooting in the 935 right now would have toasted him.  Oh well thats the breaks. :funnyturkey:  Does anyone have an idea the length?
Go early, stay late, be patient and sit still.

FloppinTom

Go early, stay late, be patient and sit still.

redarrow

J-Shaped

7 3/4" from the freeze dried head of a mounted bird in a fully upright position. They can stretch them further, but I'd consider this the most common position of an undisturbed bird just looking around and a good baseline.

Obviously some could be smaller or even larger, but this was from a large Missouri bird if that matters.

Hope that helps you out.

DeWayne Knight

I measured my bird the other day and I'd call it 8".

turkey_slayer

Yep roughly 8". 10 feet though when they are stretched out looking for that "hen" though!