OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

1 week and 2 tags left...Any late season advice?

Started by barry, May 13, 2012, 05:11:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barry

I've got 1 week left to hunt here in VA. We're greened up good, lots of leaves and tall grass in fields except for some pastures. Locusts litter the ground and turkeys are gorging themselves on them plus a lot of buttercups and clover in pastures.

Gonna hit 2 new spots, one is a big pasture field on a creek bottom with low grass and no cows that borders big whiteoak woods eat up with scratching. Surrounding this is either cutover or very high hayfields.

The other is patch of big whiteoak woods with no undergrowth where I can see a good ways plus woods are full of locusts.

I'm gonna hunt some mornings and some evenings.
Plan on using dekes - 1 strutter, actually just a tail fan, and 1 hen - unless convinced otherwise.
Call as usual, start soft and get aggressive later OR should I keep it soft this late in the season?

Can't run-n-gun, remember I'm in a wheelchair, so where I set-up is where I'll stay.

Haven't had to hunt this hard this long in years, wish me luck.

GOLD HUNTER

barry

what happen to all them gobblers on the ROCK FARM ???

wisconsinteacher

I am done with jake decoys.  I have had 2 toms spook away when they saw them with the hend decoy. 

surehuntsalot

Quote from: wisconsinteacher on May 13, 2012, 07:50:07 PM
I am done with jake decoys.  I have had 2 toms spook away when they saw them with the hend decoy. 

+100
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

barry

Quote from: GOLD HUNTER on May 13, 2012, 07:00:03 PM
barry

what happen to all them gobblers on the ROCK FARM ???

Don't know Brian, they disappeared

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Ditch the male decoys.

The gobblers are back in big flocks and not looking for confrontation.

strutnva

The gobblers are back in big flocks and not looking for confrontation.

Agreed

savduck

This is where scouting comes in. Turkeys will still have habits. Figure them out, get in their travel route and whack em.
Georgia Boy

barry

Quote from: savduck on May 14, 2012, 04:57:51 PM
This is where scouting comes in. Turkeys will still have habits. Figure them out, get in their travel route and whack em.

Del, why don't you just pack your trumpet and come on up here and call for me! ;)

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on May 14, 2012, 02:40:40 PM
Ditch the male decoys. The gobblers are back in big flocks and not looking for confrontation.

Yeah I'm having trouble deciding what dekes to set out.
One of my friends had 3 longbeards come in an attack his PrettyBoy strutter just this past Friday

beagler

Never Misses

WVhuntEER

Quote from: wisconsinteacher on May 13, 2012, 07:50:07 PM
I have had the complete opposite result.  I had two big gobblers come in and stomp my jake DSD.  One took a ride in my truck.  The other would have had it been legal.   :funnyturkey:

sugarray

Don't think they will gobble.  Call softly, put out hens, and wait.

I have seen one strutting, but no gobbling.  I called him in and he pecked the crap out of my DSD jake.  A lot of movement and my son couldn't get on him.  We'll be back after him tomorrow!!