OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Never seen this before

Started by Turkey Beard, May 12, 2012, 12:46:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turkey Beard

I was out today retracing my steps and looking for a call I'd lost in the woods (no, I didn't find it. ) when my buddy almost LITERALLY stepped on a hen! She flushed straight up in the air and landed about 10 yards away and then began circling us as we froze in the middle of the field. She acted exactly like a giant killdeer! She must have circled us a half-dozen times, dragging a wing and putting, as we looked for a nest or poults. Finally we decided to walk straight away from her and the nest and she circled us again and tried to lead us away. When we button-hooked and went back the way we were headed originally (giving the nest a wide berth), and she led us off about 100 yards. I've never heard of a turkey doing a killdeer!
1UP GAME CALLS - Calls That Put'em On The Wall..
www.1upgamecalls.com

fsu33952

There is an article in I believe it was Turkey &Turkey Hunting just in the past few months about that exact behavior. I think it was Jim Casada that wrote. He talks about spotting a hen on the nest and how they can recognize predator behavior.Meaning that you have to literally step on them or lock eyes with them before they will run. He writes about how they will sometime run around to take focus off their young or nests. It probably works with a coyote but probably not a human who has sense enough to know there is a nest close by.

ccleroy

Good mama, I've had them flog me before for getting to close to poults/nest.....

FANMAN

I have seen that exact behavior. Very cool.

Tail Feathers

I've walked up one one and I tell you, when a hen flushes at three steps it will make your heart race! :o

I quickly realized what I'd run into and took a quick peek at a nest full of eggs without slowing down as I veered off away from the nest and the direction she flew.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Turkey Beard

Thanks for the replies.  I must have missed that T&TH article; let my subscription lapse and, when I called to renew, I was told that they'd get the missing mags to me... but I haven't seen them.
1UP GAME CALLS - Calls That Put'em On The Wall..
www.1upgamecalls.com