turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Kent Five Star Penetrator

Started by Punisher, May 07, 2012, 10:59:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Punisher

Has anybody done any testing with these shells yet?  I know a sporting goods store here has them in 3".  I thought about giving them a whirl.  I was wondering if anyone had tried them to save my self the time and money if the shells are worthless.

R AJ

Quote from: Punisher on May 07, 2012, 10:59:52 PM
Has anybody done any testing with these shells yet?  I know a sporting goods store here has them in 3".  I thought about giving them a whirl.  I was wondering if anyone had tried them to save my self the time and money if the shells are worthless.

This identical topic is posted on OG , one even shows the patterns as sent in by the company to a user. You are paying $2 per shell with half of the load being lead and half being tungsten matrix, both in size 5 shot in 12 ga. I like #6 better personally but if you shoot #5 shot then that 's OK. They only become worthless if you don't get the pattern you want at a given distance. Plenty of shells perform very well at 35 yards and under and that is the range  where a huge majority of all turkeys are killed. They don't have a history of performance since they are relatively new to the market and my feeling is that you will see these at a greatly reduced introductory price or out of production by next year. Worthless? Not really.

Punisher

What I meant by "worthless" was if I pay between $20-$25 for a box of 3" shells I would at least for them to perform adequately out to 40 yards.        Sorry I didn't make my self clear. :)

allaboutshooting

All of the manufacturers, including Federal (Kent) are struggling to find ways to make shotshells that we can afford and that will deliver the kinds of patterns that we all want to see.

Some have already abandoned plans for some tungsten-based shells and it's entirely possible that more could follow.

I expect that we'll see more lead/tungsten or steel/tungsten loads in the future or maybe something that no one has yet thought of to get us what we want and need.

Having been around when that "funny looking" shot that could not possibly fly straight (Hevi-Shot) was first introduced, I try to keep an open mind about new products.

The struggle to get any manufacturer to load HS was only accomplished after several false starts and then only after it won the World Championship still target shoot in 2000. Quite a story in itself.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

TauntoHawk

I just got a box to give a try, not planning on switching from my Hevi just curious to see what it does. I posted in a thread about these some info I go from the VP of marketing at kent and the pattern pics she sent me I posted.

Personally I like number 6's but I don't mind finding a cheaper shell to run out of my back up gun that friends usually borrow rather than handing out hevi

I will post my results but I couldn't find the time with hunting the last few days to do it yet. Did smash some birds with the hevi though
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

R AJ

Quote from: Spuriosity on May 10, 2012, 08:54:27 AM
I'm all about keeping an open mind, but I honestly can't see the point of these shells. They don't allow you to hunt in a non-toxic zone since they contain lead. TM is not denser than lead, and is said to pattern similarly. So performance between them and lead should be quite similar. The shells cost twice as much as lead, and are only available in 5s. Why not just shoot lead?

But, to the OP, I would love for you to shoot them and give us a report. Always good to stay abreast of what's out there.

You made a good honest statement there. I agree.

Punisher

Well made statement Spuriosity.  I just cannot justify spending twice as much for a shell that has no real advantage over a lead load.  I guess the only to know is the pattern board.  I am just waiting for someone else to shell out the money to try this shell and post the results.  :toothy12: