only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

NEW WORLD RECORD OCELLATED-OFFICIAL

Started by slamman, May 06, 2012, 12:59:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomstopper

longbeard10

Longspur321

Wow, Congratulations!! That's an awesome accomplishment! An ocellated bird is definitely on my bucket list....
"If you've got them by the balls their hearts and minds will follow."--John Wayne

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."--Steve McQueen

drenalinld

Quote from: BOFF on May 06, 2012, 03:30:34 PM
Congrats!!!

I'm not familiar with the scoring and records, but how does a turkey without a beard, take #1 world record?

Highest scoring bird without a beard?

I also thought multiple spurs were Atypical Turkeys?

Not attempting to belittle the bird, just not familiar with the scoring and records.

God Bless,
David B.

It is atypical world record or non-typical because of double spurs. Ocellated birds don't have beards. It is Ocellated WR. Not compared to other Sub-species.

pullit

handcannon

Way to go Slamman!!! We done got ourselves a celebrity onboard! Congratulations. I know your pumped.

GSLAM95

Quote from: drenalinld on May 07, 2012, 09:29:56 AM
Congrats!!!

I'm not familiar with the scoring and records, but how does a turkey without a beard, take #1 world record?

Not attempting to belittle the bird, just not familiar with the scoring and records.

God Bless,
David B.

It is atypical world record or non-typical because of double spurs. Ocellated birds don't have beards. It is Ocellated WR. Not compared to other Sub-species.

It is at this time listed/registered/shown improperly with/by NWTF as the bird should definitely be in the Non-typical category of the ocellated turkey registration.

Apologizing:  does not always mean you are wrong and the other person is right. 
It just means that you value your relationship more than your ego.

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

slamman

Congrats!!!

God Bless,
David B.

David,

Good observation.  Yes it should be listed as Atypical.  The bird will still beat the current record holder of 49.5625.  When I recorded this I thought it only had four spurs.  Ocellated do not grow beards.  As of this writing I have had two well know biologist look at a picture (see pictures below) of this birds spurs and there is a fifth spur in question.  One says it's "leg scale" one says it is a "jake spur".  SO until it is determined a spur or not I will not contact the NWTF with this matter.

Bill

BOFF

Thanks for the replies!!

Learn something everyday. Didn't know about the no beard for the Ocellated Turkey.

Absolutely beautiful coloration of the feathers!!

Any other pics of the bird and the feather coloration?

Congrats again!!!

God Bless,
David B.

slamman

thank you all.  here are some pics of which most have been posted here before.

TRKYHTR

Thats one in a million right there. Congrats on a special bird.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

BigGobbler

I gotta have me one of them they are awesome congrats Slamman well done I been doing some reading up on the hunting of  them and some outfitters have changed there ways of hunting them to the better. Very interesting Turkey.

vaturkey

Congrats ! Awesome Bird !   :icon_thumright:

vaturkey   :newmascot:
Vaturkey

slamman

Quote from: BigGobbler on May 08, 2012, 03:01:25 PM
I gotta have me one of them they are awesome congrats Slamman well done I been doing some reading up on the hunting of  them and some outfitters have changed there ways of hunting them to the better. Very interesting Turkey.

Yes sir, not one hunter in our group shot a bird from the roost we either called them in or set-up in area's that they traveled.  I booked my hunt with David Luke Taxidermy ( a very fine and interesting individual to listen too) my guide was a young man by the name of Pedro. He did a very good job of getting me into birds. But I will take some credit for the hunt too. Like Paul Harvey use to say "here is the rest of the story". We went to set-up on a maize field one afternoon where we had seen some very nice tracks. We arrived about 2 o'clock so we had enough time to build the blind (yes I helped build the blind I'm not a typical client that stands and watches) We got in the blind and not five minutes later my bird shows up headed directly for us about 100 yards away I thought to myself this hunt will be over soon. He disappeared behind some maize, we waited 5 minutes nothing. 5 minutes turned to 30, 30 turned to 90. My heart sank we could not figure out how he got out without us seeing him.  About the 2 hour mark he shows up at the last place we saw him. If he turns right he comes right at me if he turns left he is leaving town. Well he turned left goes around a corner and disappears. My guide says maybe another bird will come. At that point I got up out of the blind ran to where I last saw the bird looked behind me and my guide was following behind with an astonished look on his face. I slowly peeked around the corner the bird was about 40 yards away without hesitation I stepped out and shot, the bird went down and I had my trophy.