OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

6 yr. old SMOKES his second gobbler in a row!!!!!!

Started by rtsj, May 05, 2012, 02:06:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rtsj

Went yesterday and got permission to hunt a new piece of ground. Found a great spot where a big gas line crossed right over a ridge top and figured it would be good. As i stood there looking around a bird gobbled about 50 yds away and sure enough before I could do anything he stepped out in the gas line seen me and ran down over the hill. That was all I needed. Went back to the truck and got the Double Bull, put it up and got everything ready for the am hunt.  On the way out 100 yds from the blind a jake walked across the gas well road. I really had a good feeling about the next days hunt now.
   Me and Bryce woke up at 4:30 the next morning which is not easy for a 6 yr old to do. I virtually had to dress him. Got all our candy bars, snacks and gator aid and out the door we went.  Had a 400 yd walk all up hill so wanted to get there early. Got there and put out the Avian X Jake and feeder hen then crawled in the blind about 5:20 and settled in. Bryce was asleep in 10 min.  Finally about 5:50 we had our first gobble then 2 more chimed in a few min. later. Woke Bryce up so he could hear the morning onslaught of gobbles. Around 6 I did a flydown and sure enough they all hammered back.  10 min later I seen a bird step out about 200 yds away on the gas line. Couple purrs later and hes coming in on a string. Bryce is now up and has the gun in the Caldwell field shooting pod aiming at the decoys.  When the bird closed the distance to about 3 feet of the decoys i snapped the safety off and told him to steady the Burris FFII bead where the feathers meet the head and shoot. Well he waited about 2 seconds too long and the bird stepped right in line with my feeder hen and POW!!! blew over the bird as well as my hen decoy. I was amazed how this little 6 yr. old boy handled the Fed hw shells. Thanks goodness for the Knox stock and limbsaver pad.  We hooped and hollered and he hugged me then said, this is the best part, "now lets go home cut him up wrap him in bacon and cook him"!!!! Couldn't help but laugh out loud.   That's my Boy!! Couldn't be prouder. Here are some pics.
Thanks Roy and Bryce

Little guy was tired!!!!!!

BOFF

Man Roy!!!

That's GREAT to read!! I'm tickled for both of you!!!

Absolutely AWESOME pics, but the first of Bryce and his smile tells the story!!

High five to you for making it happen!!

God Bless,
David B.

SumToy

Good to see the young ones hunting.  Congrads to you and him  :you_rock:
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

tsparks

What a great hunt! And one that he will always remember! Congrats to you guys. My little girl wants to turkey hunt with me someday. I can't wait!

bonemonger

great story Roy. figured you and Bryce were up to no good working on the pa turkey population. tell him he did awesome. Bob

RutnNStrutn

captin_hook

Awsome, u got yourself a little turkey slayer there!

Doug-Va

That is great! You definetly have some memories ahead of you!

Doug

Devastator

congrats,how is the gobbleing activity your way?up here it is stone dead.

wvnut3

neal

Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

tomstopper

Quote from: tsparks on May 05, 2012, 02:57:55 PM
What a great hunt! And one that he will always remember! Congrats to you guys. My little girl wants to turkey hunt with me someday. I can't wait!
Same here. Cant wait..

Congrats on a great hunt and memories between father and son.

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

boomer