News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

First Trip Out of State-Kansas

Started by habitatmd, April 26, 2012, 05:23:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan T

Quote from: fallhnt on May 17, 2012, 06:19:15 PM
Here is the rule of thumb. If there is a house on the road your good to go.NO house not good to go.I haven't been stuck yet. :icon_thumright:

What stinks is when the house is 4 miles in, the WIHA 9 miles in and the house is the last house on that road.  :-[

Ryan T

Rios ain't Easterns, but they are still turkeys.  I don't know what makes someone think they can just walk up and shoot a turkey in the face...  ???

gobblerguide

The roads are amazing,hard as a rock when dry but will be slick as snot after a rain.That quote about its ok if there is a house on it couldnt be more wrong ,i see my friends that live on these roads stuck after a rainstorm.And without ever seeing these roads its hard to believe how much they fall apart,with only about a 1/4 inch of pee gravel on topsoil.Both of my trucks have goodyear mt /r tires and are still handicapped at times.
Worse than the bird flu on gobblers!

Neill_Prater

A couple of years ago, I was heading home after hunting north-central KS for a couple of days, and decided to check out a WIHA area for future reference. I didn't think much about the road, although I've hunted KS for years and am well aware of how slick they can be. When I pulled off the hardtop, it didn't look too bad, but got progressively worse. Trouble is, there was no place to turn around, and it was uphill back to the highway. I was leaving ruts about 4 inches deep with the Jeep, and could barely keep it going straight. I looked at the map, and saw that 2 miles down, a cross road went a mile north to a highway. That was the longest two miles of my life! Finally hit the cross road, made the turn, and put the hammer down. I could see a house about halfway there, so figured if I could make it there, I'd be OK. Worst part of the whole road until I got there, with ruts 8 inches deep. I had so much mud packed under the wheel wells, I had to stop and clean some out with sticks so I could steer!

I spent about $15 at two different car washes trying to get all the stuff off, and, literally, a month later, dirt was still falling off in my driveway after a rain! Last time I'll EVER make that mistake.

By the way, congratulations on your hunt. My Dad was a quail hunter, and I remember him always saying the hunt isn't over until you pull the vehicle in your driveway. You guys proved that point.

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase