OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What's better pot call or box call ??

Started by Gobble Stopper, April 24, 2012, 04:22:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

budtripp

This may be considered heresy but I've never cared for box calls. I'm not sure why. I love pot calls, especially glass calls and of course diaphragm calls. Whatever works for you

lightsoutcalls

I love my pot calls...  9 times out of 10 I will start with a slate call, sometimes go to anodized aluminum.  I do have a nice single sided maple box call that sounds great and gets some use.  I also use 2 different custom made mouth calls from Hooks.  These are the calls I use the most. 
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

packmule

I believe that this has a good deal to do with the species that you're hunting and how pressured they are.  I hunt Merriam's in the west and a lot of the turkeys I hunt don't receive the pressure that some of these Eastern populations receive.  Therefore I really like a box call because it reaches out there and oftentimes our toms aren't too shy in responding to yelps from a box.  However, for pressured turkeys when soft, quiet, infrequent calling is the ticket, it's pretty hard to beat a pot call.  I suspect that if we all reposted on this topic along with the species we primarily hunt that most of the Eastern hunters would prefer pot-style calls and most of the Merriams/Rio hunters would prefer box calls but this is just a guess??  As previously stated, a versatile selection in the vest is still the best.

I don't have any experience with Osceolas or Goulds so no thoughts there. . . .

silverspur

Others have said it, first what ever you run the best is your favorite to use.  I carry both and some days box calls work great and other days, pot calls are the winner.  I like box calls or scratchers but that is a personel choice. I finish most of my hunts with a mouth call but start things off with a box to get the feel of the turkey before thinking about switching to another call.  Either way, enjoy each experience and have fun and be safe!

Longbeards / Sharp Spurs

Stoner

In my fanny pack I normally carry two box calls and three to four friction calls. It takes a little more talent to use a box call correctly, but the learning curve is not that steep. My normal routine in the morning is that I start with a box call in the morning and many times switch over to a friction call after they have been on the ground awhile. It really depends on the circumstance at any given time and what the turkeys are doing. Best advice is to listen to the turkeys sounds they are making and also the rhythm of the call. I started making my own friction calls a number of years ago because I could not get the right sound out of a factory made call. I would have to say I have killed half of my gobblers with a box call and the other 50 percent with a friction call. Both are valuable tools for the turkey hunter. Best advice is to invest in a good quality custom box call and friction call and get some good instruction from a veteran turkey hunter. Your success rate will go up markedly.