Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Overweight WI gobbler down falls to the Hooks bronze glass and yellowheart!

Started by neal, April 19, 2012, 03:07:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

neal

Well I started my season out in a county South of me (Dunn) on a farm I've hunted for years. But as luck would have it, it was raining so hard I couldn't even drive the speed limit on the way! So a buddy and myself get to the farm and sit in the truck and he procedes to tell me his rain gear leaks, so I said well hang here I'm going in by a roost area for awhile.

I don't weather stop me but I'll tell you when its a down pour and it's lighting and hour of that was enough for me! So we went for a ride and though on and off rain for the first half of the day we worked birds all morning and just couldn't get anything to work out all bad luck, had two gobblers walk right between us and a road couldn't take a shot,  worked several birds and couldn't get anything to come together,broke my tube call, and wrecked my Swarovskis (sent in for repair this morning). So enough was enough we headed North to my home county (Barron) and I called a land owner to see if I could hit a couple of his pieces of ground and got the go ahead 1st spot nothing then the 2nd spot we were set up for 15-20min when we got a gobble to our right. I told my buddy to move and get into position on him so he could shoot after he did another bird gobbled straight away from me so after 10-15min another bird gobbles to my left from way across the road and with in minutes he's standing on the field hill top with a Jake the the most upset hen I've seen in some time, she gave me everything she had and when she did I cut her off and called louder than she did and the race was on, she was on her way for a fight with the jake in tow and and gobbler that wouldn't come out of strut the whole way gobbling every 10 yds. She was eating up the bronze glass and my yellowheart. Needless to say it didn't take very long for them to get there, but it took a few seconds for the other two birds to clear out of the way for a shot. And at 15yds with my SBEII and 7's he was done!

He was 25lbs. 4oz. 9 3/4" beard and 1" spurs

Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

pullit

scoot12

Hognutz

May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

merocustomcalls

Wrangler95

Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

woodwzrd

Nice bird Neal. Congrats.  :icon_thumright: I will be trying my best to put the hurt on one of those Dunn county birds next week.

Ol'Mossy

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

ILIKEHEVI-13

Any bird that weighs 25lbs is hard to come by from what I have seen.  

Congrats on your big boy.  

boatpaddle

Recognize
Adapt
Overcome

cannonball

WillowRidgeCalls

Wisconsin Turkey and Turkey Hunting Pro-Staff
Scott

Roostem33

The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.(John 10:10)