OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Killed "pork chop" this morning!

Started by drenalinld, April 16, 2012, 10:23:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkey_slayer

Ol'Mossy

Reloader

vaturkey

Congrats David !  Nice Bird !   :icon_thumright:
Vaturkey

pullit

tomstopper

drenalinld

Quote from: sugarray on April 17, 2012, 08:14:01 AM
That is AWESOME Dave!!   Let's hear the story.

Short story. Heard him about a quarter mile from my truck at first light. While making my way to him, a dog jumped up a deer right under the turkey. I was really upset because all dogs are supposed to be penned up right now. It took about ten minutes fof the dog to chase the deer over the bluff and out of hearing range. I figured the gig was up, but a crow sounded off and the turkey hammered a gobble out making me feel much better. He was roosted in a single file wood line along a small stream connecting two blocks of timber seperated by a clear cut. He gobbled regularly allowing me to get in close, 75 yards or less. I set in the woods about 25 yards from the clearing  I gave a few cluck on my Constantine trumpet and he cut me off! I made a few clucks and purrs on aluminun pot and he cut me off. I waited a few minutes and give a fly down cackle on Houndstooth 3 reed v cut while beating my cap on my leg to simulate wings. He double gobbled. I got quiet. He gobbled about 3 minutes later and he was on the ground at about 60 yards. For what seamed like two hours, he drummed his butt off just out of sight. I called a couple times with soft yelps from Constantine and Gitzit yelpers. After an agonizingly long time, probably only 10 or 15 minutes, he strutted through an opening at 45 yards. He spun and starded walking back the other way. I think he was going to come in close but i did not let him. Piled him up at 45 yards with #7's. I love this game!

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

NCTURKEYHUNTER

Lightnrod

Looks like the bone got hung in his throat@!

Mike Honcho

Great story and hunt...what did he weigh?  I took one last season that looked like that and he went over 26 lbs.
Congrats.

drenalinld

22 lb 6 oz. i would guess 1-2 lbs heavier a month ago.

vaturkey

Quote from: drenalinld on April 17, 2012, 02:38:49 PM
Quote from: sugarray on April 17, 2012, 08:14:01 AM
That is AWESOME Dave!!   Let's hear the story.

Short story. Heard him about a quarter mile from my truck at first light. While making my way to him, a dog jumped up a deer right under the turkey. I was really upset because all dogs are supposed to be penned up right now. It took about ten minutes fof the dog to chase the deer over the bluff and out of hearing range. I figured the gig was up, but a crow sounded off and the turkey hammered a gobble out making me feel much better. He was roosted in a single file wood line along a small stream connecting two blocks of timber seperated by a clear cut. He gobbled regularly allowing me to get in close, 75 yards or less. I set in the woods about 25 yards from the clearing  I gave a few cluck on my Constantine trumpet and he cut me off! I made a few clucks and purrs on aluminun pot and he cut me off. I waited a few minutes and give a fly down cackle on Houndstooth 3 reed v cut while beating my cap on my leg to simulate wings. He double gobbled. I got quiet. He gobbled about 3 minutes later and he was on the ground at about 60 yards. For what seamed like two hours, he drummed his butt off just out of sight. I called a couple times with soft yelps from Constantine and Gitzit yelpers. After an agonizingly long time, probably only 10 or 15 minutes, he strutted through an opening at 45 yards. He spun and starded walking back the other way. I think he was going to come in close but i did not let him. Piled him up at 45 yards with #7's. I love this game!

EXCUSE ME SIR 

Did you say 45 YARDS !  BAD BAD BOY !   :funnyturkey:
Vaturkey

boatpaddle

Congrats....

That's a dandy gobbler..... :icon_thumright:
Recognize
Adapt
Overcome