turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Shot a turkey in the face (pics)

Started by Finch, April 16, 2012, 05:44:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Finch

Got off work this morning from a 12 hr nightshift and decided to chase some birds behind the house with my shotty.  They weren't talking when I tried to locate them but I knew they were in there (saw them this Saturday which was opening day).  I opted to sleep THAT morning since I had to be back at work.

Got to the woods, sat down, and made a few calls and waited about an hour and a half....nothing.  Got up to move around and spotted a hen lying in a dust bowl.  She spooked and I went to investigate.  Well, after "ooooing and awing" at the dustbowl I decided to go home and get a few hours sleep.  While walking the field edge, I spotted another turkey in the wood line.  Bino'ed it and saw it was a gobbler.  I melted where I stood and came to my knees.  He didn't see me.  So I decided to sit right there in the mid-open field and I made a couple calls and he gobbled.  I got into the ready position and waited, and waited, AND waited...nothing.  So I slowly crept back up and spotted him now strutting back and forth.  Looked a little closer and spotted he had a buddy...two gobblers! Ranged them to be 125 yards.  I sat there another 20 mins trying to get those birds to commit all the while creeping back up over the hill to see their progress.  They were still in the same spot!

Afraid they would give up on me, I turned a 180 and belly crawled away so I could sneak down into the woods to circle them.  I've made it to the woods now and I'm calling and scratching as I make my way closer and closer to them.  I get to some good cover and try to spot the birds....yep, they are still there strutting away.  I'm now 70 yards from them.  I'm able to get a tad closer but stop before I run out of vegetation to hide behind.  I continue to scratch and get once again into the ready position in case they head my way.  Well, a few moments later, I hear something walking toward me!  Gun is ready and pointed that way. To my surprise, its a darn hen and she's coming right at me.  She literally gets 8-10 yards from me and starts kicking up dust in an existing dust bowl and plops her big azz down.  I still have the gun pointed her way not believing what I'm seeing.  I'm also thinking she's gonna be in the way of my shot if Tommy comes behind her.  :(

Still in the ready position, I hear some drumming and notice to my left about 12 yards away on the other side of the vegetation, two big ole ugly, blood red, heads looking my way. It didn't take them long to realize something was up and they alarm putted.  They split directions and started running.  I swung the gun over and caught one on the run and down he went.  The end.

What a great morning and a hunt I hope to never forget!

10" beard, 1" spurs, and 17.2 lbs.

guesswho

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

stone road turkey calls

Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

Mailman

One Shot One Kill

Tail Feathers

Love to hunt the King of Spring!

runngun

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

pullit

VAHUNTER

Good things come to those who wait

Hognutz

Congrats on a nice stinkin' gobbler...  :fud: :newmascot:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

vaturkey

Vaturkey

slamman

gtrjames

tomstopper

MAKEemQUIVER

Go Big Blue!!!!!!