OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hung up

Started by lov2bhntn, April 16, 2012, 11:07:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lov2bhntn

I have been watching a bird on the Plotwatcher Pro for a several weeks now.   He is a very old bird that has been outrun by two younger birds.   Even when other gobblers aren't around he is extremely hesitatnt to approach hens, staying about 80 yards away from them at all times.   He only breds when the hen approaches him.    Opening day was Saturday and I get him right off the roost.   At about 100 yards he sees my decoys and that is that....not one step further.   I tried no calling, aggressive calling, leaf scratchinng, heck there was even another gobbler yelling his head off and coming fast and this bird just walks away.   What can I do to bag this bird?   Thanks for all the help.   

busta biggun

Some birds have "hang-ups" we can't overcome. That being said I would first put away the decoys. Then I would try to pattern him as much as possible and find a way to get in his path and use very light purring and clucking to get him close.

Often these vendetta birds make us waste a lot of time that is usually better spent working more responsive birds. I do understand though. I have been obsessed with a hard to kill bird before and can sympathize. Good Luck!

TauntoHawk

with birds like that my best luck has been wait til they are in a place they feel safe but cant see as good as they think and stalk them. Had a bird that would sit onto a little hill out in the middle of a hay field and not move. did it a few mornings in a row and he would pitch out of the tree at least a 100yds out into the field.

there were a couple of old round bails sitting just to the side of the hill about 45yds from the top. 3rd morning was real windy and he was by himself at 9am. I put those round bails inbetween me and him and belly crawled all the way out there about 250yds. when I poked my head up he was 30yds out mid strut and gave me that "how did YOU get THERE!!!" look.. that was his last look

Id prefer to calling them hammering all the way too me but a Big turkey is a Big turkey for a reason and sometimes you need to adapt if you really want that bird dead.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

lov2bhntn

Thanks guys.   I don't hunt agian until until Thursday and I wont be putting any decoys out.   I do have him patterned, but that could of changed with hunting pressure this week.    This is why I love hunting turkeys...

Reloader

No decoys and little calling is a good approach to try.

Good Luck!

Trevor2

If he is pitching into a field, set up a blind well before daylight and be waiting when he pitches down.
Strutstopper