OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Zink goes pop

Started by agturkey, April 08, 2012, 11:57:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agturkey

High temps caused zink to go puff on the decoy stake.  Now have to think of what to fill it with to take shape...finished out tx trip with it was unable use in ks and now looks like going have patch for ky...called zink feeders in low stock not sure when it will get replaced....so my take on the decoy is not real high praises.

Improvinghunter101

Thanks for the heads up!  Was thinking about getting one before our season starts up here.

ground control

DSD and done. Price of one zink=$80 + a replacement if/when it goes flat=$40-$80. Total cost of $120-$160. DSD is $120.....once. Not to mention they can take a load(or three) of #6's and come out lookin close to new. I was hesitant at first to get a DSD but glad I did. Ive had inflatables and learned the hard way....ain't no decoy gettin in the way of me and a gobbler!  :fud:  :OGani:
"Ground Control to Major Tom: Your circuit's dead, there's something wrong. Can you hear me Major Tom?"

louman

NYbassman

Yeah, if you are gonna pay $80 for a zink, you might as well pay a little more and get a DSD. There is no comparison between the two. The postures of the Smiths are just so much more realistic, as is the paint. The zinks look fine in pictures or if you have never seen a DSD, but once you see them side by side you will want the smith.

Cooter

Plus DSD is made in the USA Zink is not.
-}}}--------->

Ded Goblr

I've got the opposite problem with a Zink breeding hen. Blow her up, three hours later she's flat. GOOD quality control for a mere $80.. Them ol" chinee have REAL quality workmanship standards..

VaTuRkStOmPeR

I know of a Zink Jake that was spurred and popped....

3 letters: dsd

Gamblinman

fill it with expanding foam

Gman
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

bigthunderchicken

my zink decoy (JAKE) got spurred now has holes in it. the stake on which it sits on is now crooked and will not hold the weight, i bent over to fix my boot the other day and the bag flipped over my shoulder. well when that happened the strap BROKE! NOT HAPPY AT ALL WITH THEM!
Chase

Reloader

Sorry to hear your bad luck with the Zink.  I've had the opposite luck with mine.

Several guys who have witnessed them in the field are buying them as well.

I ran the breeder hen for 3 weeks and she went 10 for 10 on toms that spotted her.  Most of those toms were 3-5yos.

My Jake got his butt whipped the first time out.  The tom was relentless and spurred him over and over. No damage at all.  Sad thing is he took a crossbow bolt broad side that left a giant X cut and he still held air!!  You could squeeze it out, but he'd stay aired up while on the stake even with that huge hole.  I opened the hole and squirted Fletchtite Platinum fletching glue in, then smeared a fine bead on the outside with a q-tip.  He's fixed and holds air like a champ now.  The glue is flexible and seems to be durable.

There was one at the NWTF convention that had 25 holes in it from a shotgun blast and it still held air as well.  Great decoys.

DSD are really nice decoys as well, but you're not going to fold one up and put it in a vest.

The carry bag on the zink is very durable as well.  I put two toms in two of them and toted them nearly a mile back to the truck over my shoulder.

Reloader

Quote from: bigthunderchicken on April 09, 2012, 03:24:06 PM
my zink decoy (JAKE) got spurred now has holes in it. the stake on which it sits on is now crooked and will not hold the weight, i bent over to fix my boot the other day and the bag flipped over my shoulder. well when that happened the strap BROKE! NOT HAPPY AT ALL WITH THEM!

Extra stakes are only $5 a piece from Zink.  Nice folks to deal with.  Tell em about your bag and I'm betting they'll send a new one for free.

mudhen

I was never, and still am not, impressed with the Zink decoys.

DSD for local work, Primos Pocket Hen or no decoy for traveling hunts...

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

strut-n-rut

didnt think zink  had any inflatables

Reloader

Zink hen:

Zink Jake:

DSD hen:

DSD Jake:

Primos Pocket hen:

Mudhen, you like the PHD better than the Zink?