Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Is there a Buying Market in deer and turkey mounts?

Started by TurkeyScratch, February 25, 2011, 03:38:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TurkeyScratch

I have a friend that is wanting to sell several mounts. The reason for selling is, its just him and his wife, kids are done gone and they are building a smaller home. He wanted me to try and help him sell them. The kids are not interested and he would like to sell before his house does. Has anyone on here ever sold a mount? Are there companies out there that buy? Any help would be appreciative! Here are pics of what he is selling. The deer range in 120's to 150's. He's keeping his largest. Pic not shown.
Thanks, Matt

Basser69

I sold a deer head here at the shop and got $100 for it. I would score about 120. I see them on ebay all the time.

Odessa

Every Cracker Barrel Restaurant I have ever been in has a flea bitten, moth eaten, ancient mount over the fireplace - they are bound to buy them somewhere (and they sure need some decent ones in their establishments around here).
"I admire a good turkey hunter chiefly because such a man displays qualities that we usually associate with pioneer America-patience, enthusiasm, woodcraft, game sense, and a quiet hardihood undaunted by rain, by cold, by long tough miles, by disappointment."
Archibald Rutledge

FireDoc

I have heard of deer processors, and restaurants buying them sometimes for decor. I would recommend the EBay thing as well.
Go Dawgs!
Beware the Yelp Marks.
Proud Member of the IAFF

redarrow

timbrhuntr

Not sure if its legal and could be shipped or not but I would buy the turkey for a $100 to use as a decoy.

PANYHunter

Those are some nice trophies.  It's a shame he has to get rid of them.  I would try to find someone local to buy them seems like it may be a pain to ship all of them.  You could try the taxidermist where he got them done to see if they would like them back to showcase their work.

dreis3

I'd get rid of the wife before I got rid of all them bucks!   ;D
D. Reis Custom Calls
www.dreiscustomcalls.com

SR1

The best bet would be trying to find someone who wants the racks. Turkeys can be sold no problem the only bird that cant be sold is migratory birds as in ducks n geese thats a big no no there.
Death Smiles At Everyone - Marines Smile Back
Artillery Brings Dignity to What Would Otherwise Be Just A Vulgar Brawl
Happiness Is A Belt-Fed Weapon
[/url]

fallhnt

From what I see I would stay.Looks like a great place but needs more mounts.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Muskie03

You could probably get rid of some just by putting an add in a major newspaper.
Muskie03 Taught Me A Lesson In 2011

If it eats I can catch it, if it bleeds I can kill it.

VanHelden Game Calls

If he does not need the money.,  Go to the local sports shop and have them displayed.  A donation with his name attached.  He can see them when he wants, he is given credit.  And the public gets to see.  Win in my book.

warpig602

Quote from: madarchery on February 26, 2011, 11:21:22 AM
If he does not need the money.,  Go to the local sports shop and have them displayed.  A donation with his name attached.  He can see them when he wants, he is given credit.  And the public gets to see.  Win in my book.

Agreed!

VanHelden Game Calls

If he does sell.  A professional photographer could do a real nice job to capture the mounts and create a nice album for reminiscing.  Add that to the field pics and you get to keep the story alive for the future generations.  always nice to have to prevent these important achievements in life from being forgotten.

AU Beardbuster

Deer heads will sell on ebay. I have sold them on there before. The issue is the shipping. That can cost you a fortune. Make sure you charge enough so you don't lose money on it.