OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Dad connects on a LBL kentucky longbeard

Started by Ky strutt n bust n, April 05, 2012, 01:46:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ky strutt n bust n

All started off right at 4 am. we both drove to the spot, parking, walking a couple power poles  and ridges down and sitting there listen to all the critters till light. we heard a bird shock gobble at 5:15am adn he gobbled again at 5:30. it was so cool because out of all the years of turkey hunting i'd never heard one sshock gobble in pitch dark like that. any who, that bird didn't gobble again after daybreak. set up one ridge over him and his 4-5 other gobbling friends and they gobbled their stinking heads off. at us, at crows just whatever made em gobble! they hung up and found out we wasn't coming to them so off the other side of the ridge they go further away from us. oh well no biggie its only about 7. so walked on other side of powerline and heard a bird gobble 800-1000 yards away. 2 ridges deep and 2 ridges down. we jump on him. call to him. he gobbled. ok lets get one more ridge top closer to him. and boy did we find the biggest ridge to be seperating us and the bird. it was steep! well made a purr and couple clucks, and simple yelp. he gobbled. thats enough for us. we hush. he keeps gobbling working that other ridge. 10 minutes go by hes still gobbling and no hen response. about the 15 minute mark he gobble less than 75 yards down the ridge and to our right. i like out a purr and cluck and within 30 seconds i see him to my right. ( now dad is 15 yards in front of me looking down the ridge and hasn't seen the bird yet) so i made a weird but somewhat yelp to get his attention and made the gesture as hes right here! he sets up in the birds direction and the bbird is heading straight to me. he had me pinpointed exactly to tree. i didn't get drawn for the first week quota hunt and i couldn't shoot the bird. we didn't set up decoys so the bird couldn't see the hen that he had heard and starting walking back the way he came. dad made a cluck and boy that bird worked around some thick stuff and straight to dads tree he went. i hear safety click off...... BOOOOOM! i jump up excited  DID YA GET HIM? DID YOU? hes just as excited and yelled YES I DID! we ran to bird at 30 yards exact and wow. 8:30 am and we've got a gobbler down in LBL. toko him to welcome station, 10" beard, 1" hooked spurs and 21 lbs. he has his 1 bird limit in LBL and we"re both proud of it. thanks Hooks calls for making such great calls. we just bought 4 of them and dad said he"ll be getting more next season.

Ky strutt n bust n

sorry for such crappy pictures.... my amazing Iphone has something inside the lens and is totally whacked. pic is a pic tho.

redarrow

Congrats to you both. Man,I miss hunting the LBL.Been a few years.

JVA54

Wrangler95

Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

mnturkey

SEMPER FI

870FaceLift

:z-guntootsmiley:

Congrats on a great hunt with your dad!
Pass it on...

Ol'Mossy

Frankinthelaurels

I thought the season started on the 14th??? Unless this was a youth hunt this past weekend....

Ky strutt n bust n

Quote from: Frankinthelaurels on April 05, 2012, 06:10:42 PM
I thought the season started on the 14th??? Unless this was a youth hunt this past weekend....
today was the first 2 day quota hunt for adults. this past saturday and sunday was the youth quota hunt. and then theres another quota hunt next the 14-15. then regular opens up here n lbl the following monday. birds gobbled good today. as i was waiting on him at check in station another ol boy had a really really nice bird checking it in also. seems quite a few birds were by themselves early today. next week should be good for us Frankinthelaurels  :icon_thumright:

Kylongspur88

joey46

Big congrats!  LBL is one of my most favorite places.  The bridge being out cause you any problems?

Ky strutt n bust n

Quote from: joey46 on April 05, 2012, 06:48:54 PM
Big congrats!  LBL is one of my most favorite places.  The bridge being out cause you any problems?
not at all. we live in paducah and come in through grand rivers and northern end of lbl. maybe helps a little keeping people from that side of a kentucky lake over there. LBL is def my favorite place to hunt. teaches a hunter a lot of diifferent techniques, and how to hunt pressured birds. been hunting there since i was a little kid. killed my first (and biggest bird to date) in lbl. lots of memories.
thanks everyone. it was awesome morning considering today and tomorrow was possibly be the only days this season he could hunt, so good to know he has that off his shoulders and slung over his shoulders with a head a flopping. it was exiciting for me to taken off work and be apart of this today and just call and watch.

cannonball

pseshooter300

Tater
Thunder Chicken Mafia
This Ain't Hollywood