turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Pure Gold/SSX and Hevi Shot question

Started by Punisher, March 27, 2012, 09:53:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Punisher

I need some opinions from you guys.  I have Remington 870 21" barrel 3".  I am thinking about ordering a Pure Gold ported choke.  I was wondering with the 21" barrel if I should order the .660 or .670.  I plan on shooting the Win. Ext. Range #6s or Hevi #6s.
I also have a question to ask.  The other day I was patterning some Hevi #6s through my new SSX choke.  After the pattern testing I decided to deep clean the barrel again and clean the choke.  I noticed when I got the choke clean there was what looked like to be scratches right before the first rings in the choke.  I had only shot Hevi through this choke.  Is this normal?  Got me to wondering if it was doing this to the choke what was it doing to the barrel.  Maybe I am concerned for no reason.  Just hoping maybe I can get some answers.

C J Stahly

I am getting great results with the pure gold in a 26" barrel.  I can't speak for the shorter barrel....

I will say i have them in two different guns and both give awesome patterns.

allaboutshooting

Streaks are not uncommon when using very hard tungsten-based shot, like Hevi-13. They are cosmetic and won't cause any harm or degrade your patterns.

It's possible to see streaks in barrels as well but again, it's just a cosmetic thing and will not harm your bore.

If I was choosing a Pure Gold choke for that gun, I'd go with the .660 and probably the new "Tempest" model, even though you're shooting the Hevi-13 shells and not the Federals.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Punisher

Thanks Clark for putting my mind to ease.  Just curious, why would you go with the Tempest?  I am getting pretty awesome numbers with the SSX and Hevi 3/2/6 but was kind of curious about the Pure Gold and wanted to find a good choke for the Win. Ext. Range #6s also.

FttFttVroom!

I put up a very nice 179 with #6 extended range using a Kicks .665 out of my 870 SM 23"

Numbers dropped to 140's with a tighter .660 jellyhead in my case.....haven't shot the SSX

ILIKEHEVI-13

You may want to try a Rem Ventilator.  I have one and it shoots with the best of them.

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/re8712exratu.html

ILIKEHEVI-13

I'll back that up with this.  For $20, you will be hard pressed to find a better shooting choke.  And it shoots Hevi-13 #7 loads very well too.  I have a Pure Gold .670.  I have owned the Tru-Glo SSX .643 choke and even Indian Creek chokes.  And this choke will for the money beat em. 

Punisher

The choke says on it that it is for lead shot only.  Is the Hevi and Win. Ext. still safe to shoot through it?  How are the lead patterns also?  I have a ton of Win. 3/2/6, 3/1.75/6, 3/2/5, and 3/1.75/5 Pb that needs shot up. ;D

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: Punisher on March 27, 2012, 11:00:09 PM
The choke says on it that it is for lead shot only.  Is the Hevi and Win. Ext. still safe to shoot through it?  How are the lead patterns also?  I have a ton of Win. 3/2/6, 3/1.75/6, 3/2/5, and 3/1.75/5 Pb that needs shot up. ;D

That choke seems to shoot it all well.  I haven't shot any lead loads through it.  But I know others that have.  Reloader on here is the guy that turned me on to that choke tube.  And I love my Pure Gold choke that I have.  The only choke I have that will possibly beat it is a MAD Super Max .675.  Sometimes it will and sometimes it won't.  But like I said if you figure the money equation part of it vs other chokes, you will be doing good to hang with the Ventilator consistently from what I have found.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Punisher on March 27, 2012, 10:09:04 PM
Thanks Clark for putting my mind to ease.  Just curious, why would you go with the Tempest?  I am getting pretty awesome numbers with the SSX and Hevi 3/2/6 but was kind of curious about the Pure Gold and wanted to find a good choke for the Win. Ext. Range #6s also.

I'm seeing some good patterns with that model as are the folks who've been getting back to me about their results.

Before you invest however, you may want to try that SSX with the WXRHD shells as well.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."