OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What call would you make?

Started by Cutt, March 21, 2012, 06:37:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

If you could only choose one series of calls to make in this situation, what would you choose?

Flydown Cackle
Tree Call
Cucks
Purrs
Mature Gobble
Kee-Kee
Cutting
Plain Yelps
Excited Yelps
Jake Gobble
Assembly Call
Putt

Cutt

I know every hunting situation is different with calling. But in this scenario, what call would you choose if you could only choose one, and could only do one series  for the entire hunt? As after this choice, you are completely silient from here on.

Scenario, you have a gobbler roosted in a bottom, and you are approx. 100 yards away up the hill on the flat about 30 yards back from the crest. There is no way to close the gap, and you are not sure if he has any hens in his company or near by? Regardless if you choose to make your only series of calls, to him in the tree or when he hits the ground, what call would you use? One series of calls, one time only for the entire hunt?

MouthCaller

man thats a tough tough decision. I think thats way too broad of a question, you should always be able to use any kind of calls you need to to get him to you. I guess I'd just do some plain yelps...

Cutt

Quote from: MouthCaller on March 21, 2012, 06:41:13 PM
man thats a tough tough decision. I think thats way too broad of a question, you should always be able to use any kind of calls you need to to get him to you. I guess I'd just do some plain yelps...

True, but which one call, do you feel would have the highest percentage of drawing him in?

guesswho

None of the above for me.  I'd scratch out a place against a big tree for me to sit.  If my scratching didn't count as my only call then I'd throw in some purrs once I sat down.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

redarrow

Most of the birds I have taken fell victim to a purr.

Cutt

Quote from: guesswho on March 21, 2012, 07:22:22 PM
None of the above for me.  I'd scratch out a place against a big tree for me to sit.  If my scratching didn't count as my only call then I'd throw in some purrs once I sat down.

Good point, guess I could of added leave scratching and wing scratching, but was just thinking vocalization at the time?

Lenny870

Ol'Mossy

Personally I would use three soft clucks then put the call down and wait him out. Has worked for me on many occassions.

redleg06

When i've only got one call to make it happen....squealing hen all the way :z-winnersmiley:

TennLongspur

That is a tough one. There are too many variables. On heavily pressured public land, I think a few soft clucks would do the trick. On private land birds that haven't been called to much, I want him to think that hen is fired up. I said excited yelps, but I am now leaning toward plain yelps as a happy medium between the pressured and unpressured birds. besides, a plain yelp is more likely to attract the hens (if he has some with him) and pull him along.
"The wild turkey possesses the remarkable ability to turn arrogance into hopelessness." - Tom Kelly

BrowningGuy88

After he gobbled on the limb, I would do a flydown cackle and pop my hat on my leg to simulate wing flaps. I killed a few using this method. Works great if they don't have hens with them!