turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Helping Gas Mileage

Started by pullit, March 21, 2012, 12:47:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pullit

I have a 2004 Chevy Silverado Z71 4X4 and have been thinking about adding a chip and or a K&N filter to it to help get better gas mileage.

Have any of you used either and what were your result? I am not looking for more power as what I have in that department is plenty.

These are the chips I am looking at:
http://www.gfchips.com/

If you have a better chip, I am all ears.

Thanks

fallhnt

Save your money and send it on gas.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

fountain2

Depends on how deep u wanna go here...some tuners are offering fuel mileage tunes now specifically for better mileage.   Not sure how to get one where you are but I know my buddy was doing them, but did them locally and I haven't seen/heard from him in a good while since life has progressed.   Check with superchips, hypertech, bully dog, banks or some of the larger reputable tuners.  My buddy was "dixie tuning".  We did several and had access to great tuning.  I used to be big on all that good stuff with the lightning /cobra world, but again life moved on and i've lost touch with it all.

jrseale82

I would also recommend getting a tune for better mileage.  Ls1powertuning has done alot of work for me.  He specializes in GM cars and trucks.  Call and speak to Lorenz.  He is located in Texas but he can do it through the mail or may know someone in your area.

drenalinld

I sold auto parts for 15 years. Most people who bought K&N filters hoping to improve gas mileage returned them complaining of worse fuel mileage with the K&N.

misfire

I am not sure about gas burners as I have a diesel ( did put a programmer on it and am impressed with both power and fuel economy), so a chip might be helpful.
I took an auto mechanics class in high school and the teacher provided some wisdom about improving fuel mileage that was great back then ( 1980s) and would be just as good for today. If you really want to improve mileage, put a brick on your hood. The worst things you can do on fuel economy is hard acceleration and fast stopping. Thats where the brick comes in. You accelerate hard, guess where that brick is going? :TooFunny:
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

Old Gobbler

Tire pressure , and alignment --Tune up  with the plugs , new air filter

Adjust your driving style , I did  and drive even slower on the highway, a difference of 5 MPH saves me some money especially when gas is $4 a gallon

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

pullit

I have new plugs, wires, air filter, synthetic oil, and keep my tire pressure about 2-3 pounds above the sticker posting on the door. I am at about 16.5 MPG. I don't drive above 70.
I have done everything I know to do. The truck has a 5.3L motor. My old 98 truck had a 5.7L and got a little better gas mileage than I am getting now.

stinkpickle

Quote from: pullit on March 22, 2012, 10:35:57 AM
I have new plugs, wires, air filter, synthetic oil, and keep my tire pressure about 2-3 pounds above the sticker posting on the door. I am at about 16.5 MPG. I don't drive above 70.
I have done everything I know to do. The truck has a 5.3L motor. My old 98 truck had a 5.7L and got a little better gas mileage than I am getting now.

I have the same truck, and I'm running 50psi in the front tires and 40psi in the rear (LT tires).  I get about 16mpg in town and 18-19mpg on the highway.  I used to have a '99 with the 5.3, and it got 20+ mpg when I drove OVER 70mph.  My dad's '99 was the same way.  Even at 80mph, they'd both get nearly 20mpg.  At 55-60mph, they would back down to about 18mpg.  It was probably a gearing issue.  I heard that there was a cam profile change between the '99 and '04 5.3 motors.  The result was about a 10-15 hp increase (and lower highway mileage).  The extra hp was probably for marketing purposes only, because you'd only realize it at the top of the rpm range.   :(

mnturkey

Even when the speed limit is 75, in the Dakotas on a fourlane highway I use the cruise control and drive 65 my gas milage is much better and I do not arrive that much later then someone who drove 75.
SEMPER FI

pullit

Quote from: stinkpickle on March 22, 2012, 11:18:32 AM
I have the same truck, and I'm running 50psi in the front tires and 40psi in the rear (LT tires).  I get about 16mpg in town and 18-19mpg on the highway.  I used to have a '99 with the 5.3, and it got 20+ mpg when I drove OVER 70mph.  My dad's '99 was the same way.  Even at 80mph, they'd both get nearly 20mpg.  At 55-60mph, they would back down to about 18mpg.  It was probably a gearing issue.  I heard that there was a cam profile change between the '99 and '04 5.3 motors.  The result was about a 10-15 hp increase (and lower highway mileage).  The extra hp was probably for marketing purposes only, because you'd only realize it at the top of the rpm range.   :(

I may need to up my air presure more than I am running. I would be glad to swap 15-20 HP for 3 more MPG.

Turkey Trot

Quote from: drenalinld on March 21, 2012, 02:09:29 PM
I sold auto parts for 15 years. Most people who bought K&N filters hoping to improve gas mileage returned them complaining of worse fuel mileage with the K&N.

It's crazy to believe that an air filter alone would affect it.  The filter does not control the mixture. 
Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter

Turkey Trot

Quote from: misfire on March 22, 2012, 09:34:33 AM
I am not sure about gas burners as I have a diesel ( did put a programmer on it and am impressed with both power and fuel economy), so a chip might be helpful.
I took an auto mechanics class in high school and the teacher provided some wisdom about improving fuel mileage that was great back then ( 1980s) and would be just as good for today. If you really want to improve mileage, put a brick on your hood. The worst things you can do on fuel economy is hard acceleration and fast stopping. Thats where the brick comes in. You accelerate hard, guess where that brick is going? :TooFunny:

Beyond the obvious, like a well-tuned engine, the operating habits of the nut on the accelerator has the greatest effect on mileage.
Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter

Dray223

Went with an edge evo on my 2004 ford f150 4.6l 4x4. Was getting 14 in town, put that on went to 16 in town. That thing is amazing. Shits so much smoother, and hits over drive really fast. It tunes your truck to automatically shift at optimal rpms, wich is less then just stock. Just cut the muffler off last month, and have true dual straight pipe from the cat back, believe it or not went to 17.5 in town now. I couldn't believe it, and that has been steady now for about a month. On the interstate i get right at 20.

Shellwaster

Quote from: Dray223 on March 22, 2012, 12:17:22 PM
Went with an edge evo on my 2004 ford f150 4.6l 4x4. Was getting 14 in town, put that on went to 16 in town. That thing is amazing. Shits so much smoother, and hits over drive really fast. It tunes your truck to automatically shift at optimal rpms, wich is less then just stock. Just cut the muffler off last month, and have true dual straight pipe from the cat back, believe it or not went to 17.5 in town now. I couldn't believe it, and that has been steady now for about a month. On the interstate i get right at 20.

I'm going to look into one of these for my 06 F150, it's not "shitting" like it should, although the shifting is just fine.
;D ;D