News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How Many Plan On Shooting Hevi-13 #7's This Spring

Started by ILIKEHEVI-13, March 16, 2012, 05:35:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FttFttVroom!

Quote from: forcercon1 on March 16, 2012, 11:32:21 PM
I have shot Hevi's, copper plated and regular lead. I will admit slightly better patterns with the hevi's however I'm giving up more velocity /FPS with those loads so it seems to be a toss up for me.

My question is, why does most poeple post such high numbers with the Hevi's yet the photos of dead birds never seem more dramatic in shot content than those I have shot with lead? The paper & postings show higher #'s in the 10" & 20" but not the dead birds?

Please keep in mind I shoot what gives "me" the most consistant & ethical killing results. 

Yes my freind, you can't shoot em any deader than dead..... ::)

Why do we do it?  I personally try to improve in any way I can to ensure that I have the most effective tools at my disposal when it comes to humanely harvesting these majestic birds.  My old lead loads worked great, but being able to put 20-30 more pellets in the head of a turkey gives me just that much more confidence in my setup.  I was of the "lead is dead" school for a while till I shot my first Hevi loads this year.

I think the better question to ask is "Why not?"

Gobble!

I have 12 shells left.
6 from 2010 that gave me 320s
6 from 2011 that gave 250s
Once this season is over I will be reloading TSS.

Fullfan

We put 11 longbeards on the ground last year with the Hevi #7 shot, from 12 yds out to 44yds. It is safe to say we will be shooting the #7's again this year. And Fed #7 Heviweights in my daughters 20ga.
Don't gobble at me...

BrownTrout

I'll be rocking the 7's as well.  I was fortunate enough to harvest four birds in the last two years with Hevi shot.  Two went down in Pa. with the 7's and two went down in Maine with the 6's and both worked excellent.
Who is John Galt?

One of the most ridiculous defenses of foreign aid is that it is a very small part of our national income. If the average American set fire to a five-dollar bill, it would be an even smaller percentage of his annual income. But everyone would consider him foolish for doing it. -- Thomas Sowell in 'Barbarians Inside the Gates'

forcercon1

I hope my prior post did not make me out to be a lead only guy..... As I said prior, I shoot what works best in each gun and try to weigh the value pellet count along with velocity / FPS. I hunt with both Hevi's and Lead depending on the gun I choose to shoot at any given time.

01Foreman400

Quote from: FttFttVroom! on March 16, 2012, 10:38:55 PM
Quote from: kman on March 16, 2012, 06:46:15 AM
Why shoot H-13 when you can shoot Nitros!  :z-guntootsmiley:

Why pay for Nitros when you can get 271 in the ten at 40 with Hevi 7's?

I'll be toting Hevi-13 7's this Spring :z-guntootsmiley:

I'll be shooting Nitro 3.5" 2 7/16 oz. #7's.  I'm getting 327 hits with a dirty barrel and my 7's are moving faster than yours.  That's why I use them.
Huntin Fool From Georgia!

01Foreman400

Huntin Fool From Georgia!

ILIKEHEVI-13

mikejd

Hevi, are you sure you did not hit him with the butt of your gun. lol. Thats a wollop there. How far. I am going to do some playing myself this spring now that I have a lead sled DFT. In the past after a box to much user error came into play. hard to be consistant when your cheek bone is swollen. hevi 7 are on the list.

goblr77

Fullfan

Don't gobble at me...