OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Diaphragm calls? I always buy hooks and love them.

Started by heathwesley, March 14, 2012, 11:14:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

heathwesley

Curious if anyone else out there is making a really good diaphragm mouth call?

Turkey Trot

Most makers will have one or two calls in their product line that a reasonably proficient mouthcall user will like. Even the makers for the box store market.

Look in the calling forum at the discussions and in the video and sound clips subforum, you'll see tons of discussions.  Look for Savduck's videos in particular. Some of the makers are on here.
Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter

dirt road ninja

I really like the Hook's that I have, but I use HS Strut diaphragms a lot too. I bought a few David Halloran this year and the sound is great, but the tape is a little to ridgit for my taste. I'm hoping they brake in sooner then later.

Of all the calls I own the HS EZ Rasp and Power V have brought more to the end of my barrel than rest combined. I think it's a mental thing with me, because I know there are others that sound better, but with my back against a tree and a bird's gobbling I look for old faithful.

okiegobblers

I just ordered one from Gooserbat Game Calls called the Hillbilly. Should get it in the mail any day. The guy who took first in the Oklahoma calling contest was using it.  The owner, Gooserbat, is on here also.

I-55Bandit

Hooks Executioner 2, Houndstooth Modified V cut 3 reed, and Woodhaven Copperhead  :z-guntootsmiley:

Gobblestik

look up headcrusher calls...absolutely love them.

rawalley

STAY HOME!

VA_Birdhunter

Rut N Strut make on called "'Goofy Bat Wing Cut" its awesome!!  Another member posted about them and I had to try it and there great!  I will for sure be ordering more of them.

God Bless
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens

TheTwistedOne

Perfection makes great Diaphragm calls!  The single reed Regular Red is one of my money calls.  It is without a doubt my favorite diaphragm call.

MouthCaller

I got ahold of Lannom call company's mouth calls and they are hands down the best Ive ever tried. I dont carry anything but mouth calls and I can wear out any HS strut or any other "name brand" carried by your local wally world. The calls I got from Lannom I have used for 3 years and would probably have used them again this year had it not been for me losing them lol.

Turkey Trot

I use mostly Tom Teasers, and they have not been mentioned.  Tommy Walton is the owner, and he has a pretty extensive line of calls.  Among them, there is bound to be some cuts that you like.  I like the Cracked Corn (ghost cut), Butt Naked Hen (mod batwing), Bad Girl (inverted V), Blood Cut (modified batwing), Meat Call, and Teaser Pleaser.  Probably in that order.

I like the Woodhaven Scott Ellis modified V cut.  It took time to make peace with it, but it finally clicked.  Some people give up on a call pretty quickly, I keep working it.

Taste in these calls is subjective, I've bough calls based on internet reviews, and some work out while others don't.  I've bought calls identified above in this thread and did not like them.   
Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter

zach06

I like final roost and the hooks series from primos sound good.

WildTigerTrout

Primos entire line of stacked frame calls (Piggyback).My favorites are the"True Double" and "True Triple".
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

jblackburn

You will find that there are a lot of good calls out there and several call makers here offer top of the line calls.

That said, I like the calls from Gooserbat.  Sam has a very high stretch tolerance to ensure consistency in his calls.  Like mentioned above, the Hillbilly is a favorite of mine.  A new call for this year, Black Magic, is a neat batwing cut call with a sharp double note that hardly takes any air to blow.  I'm pretty excited to use it in the woods this year.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Gooserbat

I will toot alot of horns and say that there are alot of us lesser known mom n pop guys and my experience is that most all of us build the best calls avalable because of several reasons.

First we are able to put a little extra in each call.  Second we answer to our selves not some qc audit. Third we have to build better to compete with the big brands.  Last is we enjoy not only what we do but also being part of our customers success.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.